Layout 2021 Templates

I’ve just upgraded to 2021 and when load layout there is no option to choose My Templates.

I’ve saved a template by using “Save As Template”.

When I navigate to the layout program folder there is no templates folder, despite following the path shown in the Layout preferences panel: C>Program Files>Sketchup>Sketchup 2021>Layout

Hi have ‘show hidden folders’ turned on

Please help!

Did you run the Sketchup installer using R-click, Run as Administrator?

If you didn’t, do it now. Quit SU, and Layout, and Style Builder (if any are running) then find the installer program, R-click on it, choose Run as Administrator, and choose Repair when offered the choice.

If you did do that earlier, I don’t know why the templates aren’t showing, but someone else on the forum may be able to advise you.

Your templates not supposed to be in Program Files. They will be in User/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2021/LayOut/Templates. As John said, if you didn’t install SketchUp and LayOut correctly, you should do that now.

1 Like

Templates are not in Program Files, they are in ProgramData. If you want to see your old templates from 2020, go here:

C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\LayOut\templates

You could copy them across to here:

C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\LayOut\templates

1 Like

Thanks hJohn that sorted it! Templates has now appeared as an option in the startup screen.

Ok i see that now. My mistake

Glad you are now sorted.

Hi Dave,
I have the same problem, I can’t find the templates in the new 2021 version of SketchUp Pro. I use MacOS, do you know where I can find the library for the Templates?

Kind regards, Mats

Which templates are you looking for? Your custom ones or the OEM templates?

The OEM I guess. I need the “frames” for my drawings, where you write doc info, like scale and project and so on.

// Mats

Check [menu] Preferences > Folders for the location, the templates that ships with installation reside in the package of the App, so they won’t be there, only your created ones in the new version.
You can add your own folder in the Preferences, it would be just another path where LayOut looks for templates (and scrapbooks) upon startup.

If you already have some templates in version 2020, open that version, start a new file and save it to the desktop.
In version 2021, open that file and save immediately ‘as template’ and it will go to that folder you set up.

As Jack wrote, the OEM templates are in the package of the application. You should get a welcome window when you start LayOut that lets you select the desired template. If you don’t then in LayOut go to Preferences>Startup and select Prompt for template.

You can and probably should create your own title block (frames) and borders. You can add layers for different types of entities (model viewports, images, dimensions, other text, etc.) along with selecting your desired font for your text entities.

Thank you for the help. Now I have my own set of templates.
I have on more question of it is okay, do you know how to switch language?
I downloaded the english version, and it starts up in Swedish, as I am located in Sweden, but I would prefer to have it in english.

Just a nice to have thing… :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Mats

Good on your own set of templates. As for the language thing, I think it’s an operating system setting and I believe it can be set by application but I don’t remember how to make the change on Mac. Sorry. Maybe @colin will be able to direct you.

This Apple article tells you how to go into System Preferences, language & regions, Apps tab, and to add an application to the list so that you can set what language it should use: