Last version of SU Pro Classic (perpetual version)

Is the last version of SU Pro Classic (perpetual) version: 21.1.332 ?

Do you mean perpetual? The last possible version you could have with the Classic license is SU2021.

Yes, 21.1.332 is the latest version of SketchUp 2021, and there hasn’t been a way to buy a permanent 2022 Classic license.

Yes, sorry for the typo error…grrrr… :roll_eyes:

Thanks Colin,

I thought I’d better just check, as I only use SU-Pro-2021 now & then these days but still quite engaging & fun to use. Why I ask is that when I do fire up my SU-Pro-2021.1.332; I get the upgrade reminder pop-up (see attachment). But realising, its not for any new versions of SU Pro Classic (perpetual).

Go to Window/Preferences/General and untick Allow checking for updates and you shouldn’t be prompted with that again.

It hasn’t always been that way, I’m not sure why some versions work differently to others. Generally it should let you know when there is a new update for the version you are using, but with 2018 and 2021, you get alerted to the later version update.

The updater doesn’t check to see if you have a subscription or Classic license, and so tells you about the update anyway.

How or where can I buy a SU-Pro-2021.1.332 perpetual license?

I don’t think you can do that at this point.

1 Like

you’ll have to go back to late 2021.

since then it’s subscription only

1 Like

I was hoping to find someone who wanted to sell theirs.

Maybe some store with old versions of the software…

That depends on region. If the license was bought from a reseller in the EU, the clause defending ownership transfer would be AFAIK illegal. That wouldn’t necessarily make Trimble acquiesce to the license transfer, however.

The talk was between license transfer between current users of a “permanent” version. In EU law, such licenses are as much “property” as physical objects. This might be one of the reasons why major software companies have switched to rent seeking.

Sorry, I didn’t mean it. As to the old permanent vs. subscription controversy, in the end I don’t actually have an opinion.

I think it’s simply Company must make X% more money each year and you can’t do that if your software is “evergreen” because eventually everyone has it.

Not that it ever is, given the number of users who turn up here and can’t get their 8 year old software to work on their 2 day old OS and brand new hardware architecture.

1 Like

It seems the SU Pro Classic (perpetual) version: 21.1.332 can’t be used by anyone other than the original owner given all these license issues !

I wonder how many older second hand versions of SU are out there by the original @LastSoftware team on CD ? They might still work ! :thinking:

I still have version 5 as new in the case with authorisation code & paperwork etc.

Some CAD companies still provide both license versions i.e. Perpetual & Subscription, such as Form·Z, BricsCAD® Pro & ZWCAD to name a few. Not too sure if Trimble would re-consider this as a future option & offer both to cover all bases, just a thought.

If they just want to make money, why not sell the older version (2021) at a discount, or even the original price, they would make money and some of us that use Make might be able to get Layout, etc.

Rhinoceros too. Most of these companies, by contrast, charge quite a heavy upgrade price of up to 50% for an upgrade to a new version.

Or, the other way around, having a 13 years old mac that still runs good but is limited to up a certain OS version. So it wouldn’t make sense pay for software upgrade on a yearly basis if you wouldn’t be able to run past a certain version. They didn’t think about that! (macs are expensive, specially if you don’t earn money in dollar, EURO or pound.