Jpeg to SketchUp file

I have what was a sketch up file that got saved as a jpeg,I want to

1. change it to a .skp file or
    2.paste it in sketch up.
    The goal is to either use it or copy and paste it in sketch-up
    or maybe someone can do some magic for me.

If the file is unchanged, and only had its extension modified, you could rename it to be .skp instead of .jpg.

If it’s an exported picture of a SketchUp scene, you could try Match Photo as a way to start from scratch.

Can you reply with the image attached? Use the upload button to do that.

I’m confused. A skp file and a jpg file have fundamentally different structure and content. You can’t simply change the extension to convert one into the other, that will just lead to file read errors.

Assuming what the OP means is that the SketchUp model was exported as a 2D Graphic in jpg format, that export transformed the model into a raster image of the current view. An image will import back into SketchUp as just that: an image. It will have no geometry or other model structure. If you want to recover the geometry, you will have to trace the image using SketchUp drawing tools (and for your sake I hope the model was originally 2D since depth information is lost in the image).

My end goal is to use cutlist to get a idea of what I need for lumber qty.

It wouldn’t take very long to redraw. A few main parts an array or two and you’ve got it done.

Where did you get the image file from?

As has been alluded to, you can’t directly convert the image file to a SketchUp model. You could use it as a guide to redraw the model. Perhaps you can get the original sketchup file from whomever it was who made the image.

I tried to redraw it but I seem to have trouble making boards in 3d. I’m really a noob.If you wanted to help a nood out and remake it so i could "paste the file in sketch-up.you would be doing me a soild.

I’d be happy to help when I get some free time. You’d need to supply some useful dimensions, though.

You could also look at this as a good opportunity to learn to use the program.

I’d agree that this is a simple enough structure, with repeats of basic parts, that it should be pretty easy to redraw. And also with @DaveR’s comment that it should be a good opportunity to learn how to use SketchUp. I think it would be far more valuable to you to attempt to model this, post your effort here, and let us address your specific learning based on progress. I know I’m an old grump, but I have a lot of difficulty with the internet-age attitude of “do it for me” instead of “teach me how”.

2 Likes

I did cover both possibilities in my reply. My guess too was that it’s was an export image, but it could have been a file rename problem.

I’m game for both ways,maybe some one could do this and I will show what I tried too.
Here is what I tried.But I’m just trashing around because I really do know what I’m doing,even though I’ve watched a ton of you-tube videos.
lumber rack 1.skp (125.1 KB)

As far as dimensions for the jpeg I posted, 6’ wide,4-5’ high, 2-3’deep,made with 1x3x3/4" boards

You should start with the basic videos on the SketchUp site and learn how to make components. I can point you to other video tutorials I’ve done.

If you’re patient, I could even show you how to draw that model but it would have to wait until I have free time.

I’d be more inclined to teach you how to fish than give you the fish.

That would be great,I would really like to learn how.With the one I did, I have made components and group,but like I said I can get the “thickness” I.e to look like a board.and then copying a group and making multiples.

OK, some starting comments:

• You need to read up on the push-pull tool to learn how to give thickness to your flat objects.
  • Next read up on making components. Think in terms of parts (boards), and create a component for a distinct board before drawing geometry for another part. Draw a rectangle the size of one face of the board and push-pull it to thickness (or length or width depending on what face you drew). Then select all the geometry by triple-click and make it a component. That will prevent the geometry of different boards from interfering with each other, even where they touch.
  • There are numerous identical parts in this structure. There are also repeated assemblies that contain identical parts. You can draw the boards that make up one section (one component for each distinct board), place them appropriately and create a component gathering all the parts for a section.
  • Then read up about the move command’s array copy variations. You can use this to create the replicated instances of the section along the complete rack.