Issue: Rectangle tool switches between corner and center focus

On our machines, the rectangle tool continues to alternate between corner focus and center focus. It’s inconsistent when I’ve tested it on my machine. It’s made it difficult to teach to my students. I found that hitting the CTRL key does switch between center-focus and corner-focus, but it’s still distracting.

Does anyone else see this?

1 Like

ctrl is the toggle for this behavior. Is it doing it randomly or have you just not been aware that ctrl will make it swap?

The behavior is random and unpredictable. CTRL does allow me to switch back to corner-focus, but it’s distracting when teaching new students to the tool. The desktop version doesn’t do this. I was able to re-create the issue. I drew two rectangles one after another. The first one was corner focus, the second one switched to center focus.

For now, I have taught my students to be aware of this and to switch it back with CTRL, but this appears to be a bug.

I tried hard on my Mac using Chrome, and so far I haven’t been able to make this happen. That makes me suspect it may be related to OS, hardware, or browser. Your profile says Chromebook. Is that also what your students are using?

My students are all using Chromebooks. We have Lenovo N22 Chromebooks. I’ve tested this on my own machine - Windows 10, and I see the same issue.

I just tried re-creating it. The first few times, it seemed to switch after drawing the first or second rectangle. Now, it happens after drawing anywhere from 9 to 20 rectangles sequentially. I double checked to make sure that I’m not hitting the CTRL key.

Here’s my chrome version:

Google Chrome 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)
Revision 0f6ce0b0cd63a12cb4eccea3637b1bc9a29148d9-refs/branch-heads/3538@{#1039}
OS Windows
JavaScript V8 7.0.276.32
Flash 31.0.0.122 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_31_0_0_122.dll
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.77 Safari/537.36

I’ve noticed the same thing, both on the students chromebooks and my windows machine. Just over the last week or so I think.

Yes, all the time. It’s intensely annoying. It need to stay with the type of focus last used, until you switch. Having it jump back and forth at random is a bug.