Is there a way to make part of a model "read only" so it can't be moved/deleted

I have drawn a line down the middle of an object to mark an important point and now I have to delete a ton of geometry around it.

Problem is, I keep deleting the line… Is there a way to mark the line as “read only” so it can’t be deleted… So that I can attack the model less carefully?

This doesn’t just apply to a line… What if I wanted to mark any part of the model as ‘permanent’ and ensure it doesn’t move or get deleted…

Jon

You can not make “read only” a line or face individually. But:
Make a group or component of that part that you want to “read only” select it:

Menu>Edid>Lock
or right click on it and chose:
Lock

2 Likes

That is priceless… Awesome tip… Thats really going to help. .Thanks.

2 Likes

Note that locked objects are only protected from getting moved, deleted, etc. from within their own context. Nested locked objects are not protected.

1 Like

If you save the part that you want to be locked as a component and then create a project in Trimble connect, you can import that component file as reference. Then, you it is truly locked.
I admit, it might seem a hassle to create a project on TC just for that, but it might be worth mentioning, because it’s a commonly known problem: you don’t want the interior designer to move a bearing wall to fit a couch.

Ok so as I read your comment and not being at my computer to test. I have a question.
If you set nested components locked as well as parent component will they be protected then?
Thanks

Yes, but only due to being inside a protected parent . Not due to them being locked as a nested component.

1 Like

Bear in mind that anyone with access to open the model in SketchUp itself (not the Viewer) can R-click and Unlock any component or group that you have locked.

Locking protects against accidentally moving or copying a component or group, but not deliberate unlocking.

Again, only for the top level locked objects.

1 Like

I tried to use this tip in anger last night and ran into a problem… How do you make a single line a component or group?

When I r.click on the line I get no option to “Make Group”… I have select a couple of parts to get the option… This makes sense, but I am SURE I tested this before and was able to make a group which was just a line…

Is there anyone “Make Group” dialogue that I am missing?

Select the edge then go to the Edit menu and you will have Make Group and Make component.
g is the default shortcut for Make Component, I don’t remember the default shortcut for Make Group, but you can always set your own.

I don’t think there is a default shortcut for Make Group. I created one for myself - Shift + g - but as @Box says, you can choose your own.

And I hardly ever use groups, just use components instead.

Doh… I was using Right Click, and didn’t have the option when only selecting a single line (quite understandable really)… i didn’t realise that the option was in the top menus under EDIT… Thanks for that.

I don’t know about WIndows, but on Mac the default shortcut for Edit->Make Group is command-g, compiled into the menu system.

Interesting, I didnt know that one - noted for future reference.