Is there a way to make a subset of components into a new component?

If I have 20 components “Component A” that are all 8 foot long, but I decide that 10 of them need to be 12 foot long, is there a way to select 10 of the Component A and change them all into a new Component B?

Why I want to do this: I’m doing framing and I have a lot of studs, but as I play with the design sometimes an entire wall changes in a way that needs to change the stud components, but that wall is using components that are used in other walls. So I can’t change the studs, I have to delete them all re-frame the entire wall with new stud components, which is a pain.

Select the 10, right click and choose Make Unique.

Select the 10, right click and choose Make Unique.

Wouldn’t that make 10 unique components, rather than 10 instances of a new component?

E.g. after that wouldn’t I have 11 components total, instead of two?

No, if you select 10 of 20 you will have 10 instances of one component and 10 of the other.

1 Like

If you wanted 10 components that are each unique you would need to select them one at a time and make them unique.

1 Like

No, if you select 10 of 20 you will have 10 instances of one component and 10 of the other.

Ok, ok. I must be doing something wrong because I tried that and it didn’t work like I expected. Knowing this helps because now I know to keep at it with that strategy until I get it right, thanks!

I wonder what you could be doing wrong? If you can outline the exact steps, we can probably find the one that isn’t right. It could be interesting to know because if you’re doing it, maybe others are too.

2 Likes

The OP mentioned ‘10’, the gif shows 9…:joy:

:roll_eyes: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks for the answer. I was selecting from multiple groups, that is what the problem was. :smiley:

Yeah. There’s no Make Unique context menu item for groups.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.