Is there a way to fix this box select glitch (Make 2017 on 4k iMac)?

MacOS 10.15.5
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 555X 2 GB

SketchUp Make version 17.3.116 (2017)

I’m trying to do a box select, but it creates a trail of boxes wherever the box has been on the screen. Anybody know how to fix this?

I’m getting lots of crashes too…

I’ve tried opening it in low resolution, opening in regular resolution, and checking & unchecking fast feedback in open GL. No luck.

That’s a graphic card problem, but being a Mac I can offer no suggestions.

Thank you for the reply. I’m curious to know if another version of SketchUp Make 2017 is compatible with my computer or if there’s a driver I can download to solve the problem.

If it was windows I would tell you to look for a driver update from the graphic card site, Mac I don’t know.
And in Windows Preferences you can turn on or off Use Fast Feedback and adjust the Anti alias settings.

If that did show up on Windows, the cure would be to go into preferences, select OpenGL, and check the box next to Use Fast feedback. You may as well try that on Mac too.

I double-checked that fast feedback was checked, but it doesn’t seem to solve the problem. Thank you for trying though.

Also, I tried updating my system to Big Sur 11.2, but no luck.

@Box I checked out AMD’s website for my Radeon Pro 555x graphics card. They do have Windows drivers available for download, but they don’t mention them being Mac compatible.

Did you try turning off Fast feedback?

Yes. Fast feedback only takes effect for new windows, so I quit & reopened SketchUp after unchecking to be safe. Unfortunately, both checking and unchecking fast feedback didn’t solve the problem.

I’ve also tried opening SketchUp in low resolution, but that didn’t work either.

Someone Mac literate may be able to offer other suggestions.

Well, thank you for trying to help. It’s much appreciated! :wave: :slightly_smiling_face:

I have seen similar things when OpenGL support isn’t adequate for SketchUp, though on Windows not on a Mac. I don’t know a solution, but i’ll offer a few thoughts:

• Since you list an iMac, can we assume you are using the built-in display, not a separate monitor?
  • The symptoms certainly look like a graphics failure. Do you see any similar issues in any other 3D or 2D graphics apps? You might try a utility such as glview to see if it detects any problems, in particular support for the minimum OpenGL capabilities needed for SketchUp 2017.
  • Apple supplies their own drivers bundled into the OS distribution. There is no way to install alternative drivers and, so far as I know, no way to refresh them except to reinstall the OS.
  • As a last resort, you could take the computer to an Apple repair facility to have them check it. Although Mac hardware is pretty reliable, it can still fail.

No. Blender (3D graphics), Autodesk SketchBook (2D graphics), UPBGE, MakeHuman, Gephi, and Godot all seem to work fine. As far as I’m aware, SketchUp is the only application I have with graphics issues.

Yes, I have a stock built-in iMac display. I’m not using a separate monitor.

Well, I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but I just updated to the latest OS & that didn’t solve the problem, unfortunately.

I don’t know if my problem is being caused by hardware failure because I’ve seen many other people have similar problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sketchup/comments/8wi4ih/hi_i_installed_sketchup_2017_and_vray_34my/

That probably didn’t help. SketchUp 2017 Make doesn’t support newer OS versions.

This hasn’t always been a problem for you so you need to look at what has changed when it became a problem. Clearly SketchUp 2017 Make didn’t change. It’s the same as it was in 2017.

The problem arose when I got a new computer. SketchUp Make still works fine on my MacBook Pro laptop, but my new iMac doesn’t seem to be compatible with SketchUp Make 2017. Even though it works on my old computer, my new computer is a lot faster, so it’d be nice to get SketchUp working on it. It takes my old PC 5 minutes to power up, whereas my new one boots up in 16 seconds from being off. It has faster single-core processing speeds and a larger higher-resolution display than my old PC.

Well, I’m probably out of luck then.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.