Is there a free importer for importing STEP files into SU?

Is there a free importer for importing STEP files into SU? I use SimLab and it works well but I need a free importer for some school students to use at home. Has anyone got any suggestions?.

nope, but you can ask the creator of the STEP files to save in a mesh format optionally doing the object type conversion in the used 3D application before… or use a 3D CAD for doing the conversion by your students self.

FreeCAD can import STEP files and save as other formats- STL for example which can be imported in SketchUp Pro or Make 2017. I don’t know if SketchUp Free is able to import them.

FreeCAD can be scripted to do the conversion so you wouldn’t actually need to open the program to do a conversion. You could write a short command line script. I’ve posted examples at SketchUcation, and will repeat them here later if I’m reminded.

On the downside FreeCAD is a large installation.

Rhinoceros is not free (it has a 90-day free trial, though). It can open a STEP file and save it as a SketchUp model (version 8, I think).

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.