Intercepting faces groups flat objects angle

Hi…

I think I may have posted something similar a few months ago, but still cant work this very simple thing out. I have tried new things ive learned, intercept faces etc and tried a plug in but it all get messy. Tried cutting the lines and pasting into group to try push and pull but cant get the 2 to join…

I have an outline of a raked floor. I have a series of ply sheets ready to lay ontop of the the raked floor.

I then want to trim the excess ply around the edges. (like trimming a pie edge…mmm pie).

the floor is on 2 differnet angles.

Like evrything it should be so simply but the brain cant work it out.

Help! Pleasefloor.skp|attachment (2.2 MB)

Should this be part of this topic?

sorry so should i rewrite and post with the older topic? thought it was a slightly new topic?

To be honest I did not read the other topic in much detail, so I am not sure if you were introducing a different subject here. I just saw that the intersect (not intercept) function was being discussed by the same user. :slight_smile: If this is a new subject, then a new forum topic is fine. Sorry for the noise.

1 Like

It looks like you tried to attach a file at the first post above, and it did not attach correctly.

1 Like

floor.skp (2.2 MB)

have attached again, thanks for letting me know.whoops.

Please don’t start more that one thread on the same subject, it just gets confusing when people answer different threads. It is also mentioned in the forum guidelines.
You can always bump your thread up by posting in it, something like, Any ideas anyone.

You need to look at how you want to model this floor, is it just to look at or are you wanting to use it as a a guide to construction.
Looking at the model in a realistic way you may be over thinking the problem.
Take the floor shape without the rake and work how best to fit the 1220 x2440 sheets. Decide where the full sheets start and work from there, it’s only the edges you need work on, the rest are just whole sheets.
Here I have taken the lip and stage left as the square corner and worked out from there. This leave the offcuts at the back where you might get away with leaving them out. Then you have a couple of detailed ones at the front. Mostly this would all be cut square and placed on the raked floor. You may need to cut the lip to fit the extra rake.

You could use various other methods, one being a plugin call Visuhole but it would make ever one of you sheets a unique component. Or solid tools, or Zoro etc, but I still see it as something you need to construct to understand the structure, and when you do you’ll see it’s quite simple.

1 Like

Thanks Box, huge apologies, I got a little cofused after Tdahl questioned the post and I thought it may have been removed or not registered as I had submitted it wrong. Noted. Thanks again.

This is a manually trimmed set. Very simple to do.
As I mentioned above, just work out the real world logic and trim to fit.
Back corner forward leaves easy trim at the front.
floorBox.skp (2.2 MB)

1 Like

I know Im being blind to the obvious but I cant see it! I get how it works on straight edges…I lay the ply sheet on the floor and then trim the ply sheet ( i would do this by using the line tool and taking my lead from the floor outline and the pushpull off the excess).

The tricky bit is the front trim around the curved areas…in the past (which got messy) I had to copy each line of the curve onto the ply sheet as I couldnt find a way to take the outline and stick it to the ply so I could either push pull off the excess or trim it.

??? Does that make sense?

Don’t start with the ply sheets, start with the outline and divide it up making components as you go.
Draw a section, double click, right click, make component. Give it thickness after.
So you array your grid, or in this case just array them around the edge, remove the excess bits, make component and extrude.
Most of it is straight boards you just need to trim the relevant ones.

I would give you a gif but the forum is broken and imgur is also down.

1 Like

Here you go, does this make any sense.

2 Likes

Ah ok, Im getting there! So create indiviudual components (just face) trimming off excess. Use push pull to give each compnent a thickness (have to do each one at a time??). Then add ply texture to faces. Seems like a long workflow but maybe that will get clearer to me as I have ago. Thanks for taking the time to put together the vid.

There are very few individuals in your floor.

The problem with trying to use solid tools is it won’t cut multiple components in one hit, the ply could be separate loose boards in one group where they don’t touch (allowing them to form a single solid) but then you have to go through and make them all components.
Visuhole will cut them in one click but will make them all unique.

There are always many ways to do something, often when thought through the easiest is the simple manual way that reflects how you would do it in the real world.

If you only need an image, just use a pattern/texture.

1 Like

Your solution and approach worked perfectly. It was actually pretty straightforward, sorry, It was really weighing me down!!!

1 Like

Just one last thing on this topic…I have put on the Xray option and noticed some compents are darker than others…even though they have come from the same group. I have checked and I think all the faces are the correct way around. Is this possibly just a sometimes quirk of Sketch up…or can you notice an anomoly?floor.skp (2.3 MB)

Where they are darker you have doubled up.

1 Like