Inserting Radius Information

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is a Layout Question or Pro… but I am creating shop drawings in layout and I want to be able to display degrees or radius information into my model, below is a model of a foot hat I am working on for a workbench. I can always add a leader text displaying the information but just though it would be more professional looking if I could put the radius information in. I tried to upload the skp. model but its too big, so here is a screenshot

Ed, there’s no radius dimensioning tool in LayOut, yet. You can add a radius dimension in SketchUp but if you will wind up with the rest of the dimensions placed in LO, getting them to match can be a challenge. I just use a label in LayOut and they look fine. They don’t have to look unprofessional.

1 Like

I found this angular reference in the toolbar…any use or no

If you want to put in an angle, yes. Not useful for radius or diameter dimensions, though.

I wonder how useful a radius dimension is in your case. You seem to be using arcs that do not resolve where they meet horizontals and verticals. If you used a radius, you would also have to show where its focus was for setting out purposes (unlike @DaveR’s example where his arc does resolve fully). It might be just as easy to give horizontal and vertical dimensions for each radiused elements.

But you’re right. LO should be able to show radius dimensions, in my opinion.

Simon makes a good point. I was going to go there next, Ed.

I agree but I can think of other things I’d like the small LO team to focus on first since it’s not difficult to make them with the Label tool. :wink:

especially when arcs don’t resolve,
you would need a radius, I would say?

Jack, you give an interesting example because your arc fails to resolve in a different way from the OP’s.

Even with a radius dimension, I don’t think you would be able to set out your arc, would you? You would need to know the offset of the arc focus.

If you know the X and Y dimensions of your arc and you can assume that at least one end resolves, you could determine it by using the rise at its centre. But @DaveR’s workaround of writing in the radius is probably the best - providing you get it right (since you are not relying on the software to do so).

Maybe I’m missing the point, but (resolving) radius dimensions are no different to other dimensions - I just change the start and end arrows.

Your method works fine in that application however it’s not the standard way to dimension a radius as in the OP’s post. It would also look pretty awful.

The dimension shouldn’t be on the part.