Insert pdf to Layout comes in as raster in latest update

With the latest update (Sketchup Pro 21.1.298) inserting pdf’s into Layout come in as raster…looks more like a png than pdf.

The layout the pdfs were made from are rendered as vector…

Is this the way it’s always been? If so I never noticed. The pdfs in question render as vector pdfs when opened.

Paul

1 Like

Yes. On the Mac, importing a PDF converts it innto a raster image. The PC has no PDF import capability at all.

the PDF format is a meta format which may contain raster data as well as vector data.

As @Anssi already elaborated, under macOS PDFs are imported by using the graphics engine of the macOS which supports raster data only even if the PDF contains vector data… pretty useless.

If the PDF contains vectors (simply try to select an entity w/ Adobe Reader for checkking this) and if you need vectors, open with an graphics application like Illustrator, Corel or free InkScape, export to DWG format and import in SU.

1 Like

Thanks

Life is full of surprises. First time I noticed this in all these years…

Paul

OK so this is odd…
Working on a job inserting pdf details created from Layout and one of them is rendering as a vector…
No matter how far you zoom in the image is crisp…unlike the others.

Paul

Update.

For certain some pdfs inserted into Layout render as vector rather than raster. It seems random and I haven’t been able to figure out what triggers it…

Paul

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.