Importing DAE file results in FAIL

I am exporting DAE out of Revit.
Importing to SU2018 results in failure.
Generally the failure notification is preceded by a notification that textures are missing.
Any help would be appreciated.
SUP 2018
Graphics: Radeon Pro WX 7100
System: (Dell Precision 7720) Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00 GHz, 32 GB RAM

Collada files do not embed textures. Does the Collada file that you want to import have an accompanying folder with textures?

Collada is a text file format that you can open in a text editor. By searching for the texture paths (or their extensions like .jpg or .png), you can check whether the paths are correct and whether the texture files exist there.

But if the DAE does not embed textures, why is the code referencing texture paths?
I don’t need textures; in the past this has worked seamlessly even on very large DAE “models”. Faces come in without texture or color and that’s fine.

Because it does not embed them inside the .dae file. That’s why it references external texture files (by their file paths). That means the .dae is not supposed to be used stand-alone but needs accompagnying texture files (usually in a folder of the same name).

I also remember that unresolved references texture files show a warning box, but do not abort the import of the geometry. So either that changed in 2018 so that import fails, or the .dae file contains another problem that causes the import to fail.

I’m very curious what changed in 2018 for this.
Did you try importing the same DAE file into 2017? What happens then?

No…I don’t have 2017 Pro any longer. We might have a machine around that still has 2017 Make. but then there wouldn’t be parity in the comparison.

I’m sending you a workaround in a private message so that you can test it in 2017. Please post what happens here (in case I need a developer to see it). Thanks!

A related question-if the files in question were created in our 2015 Sketchup and uploaded in 2015 what changed so that we cannot download our own files using the version that created and uploaded them?

They are not the same files anymore.

Whereever you can upload things on the web (even write text in this forum), it is very common to sanitize and convert user content. This needs to be done to ensure content is in a standardized format that a wide audience can read (e.g. you upload a high-resolution jpeg with rare encoding, webserver delivers more compressed jpeg or even webp). It is also often done to remove potentially malicious files that can be embedded within uploads (in the old warehouse, you could upload kmz that played sound), and to strip personal identifying information (photo metadata).

3D Warehouse originally provided files as they were uploaded. Then they provided additional conversions to other skp versions that the audience may prefer (current SketchUp version, Collada). For some years they reduce the maintenance effort to support only a limited number of SketchUp versions (current … current − 3; and SketchUp Make 2017).

3D Warehouse is not a backup solution…

(P.S.: To my knowledge they haven’t introduced sanitization, so skp files do often leak information about the absolute texture file location on your computer, including your local user name and the operating system you use.)