Importing CAD Files and How to Flatten Them

Been struggling with this one for a while.

Similar to this thread: Importing DWG; Drawing is not flat

Is there a clever way to flatten DWG files without using Autocad? I work pretty much exclusively in Sketchup so it would be helpful if I didn’t have to bother the CAD tech!

I use a method that leverages the drape tool. This ensures the “flatness” of the Autocad file. You can view the technique at about the 4 minute mark of this video. Actually the entire video is interesting and helpful. Hope this helps.

How to Quickly Convert an AutoCAD DWG to a 3d Model in Sketchup

Change to top view, set camera to parallel and then export to 2D file and select dwg. Now reinsert the now flattened dwg file.

I love that sort of work around. When you said “drape” I had no idea what you meant. I rarely use anything to do with the Sandbox … will have to look into it more.

Thanks so much for the tip.

I use a method that leverages the drape tool. This ensures the “flatness” of the Autocad file. You can view the technique at about the 4 minute mark of this video. Actually the entire video is interesting and helpful. Hope this helps.

Change to top view, set camera to parallel and then export to 2D file and select dwg. Now reinsert the now flattened dwg file.

Haven’t tried this one yet, but it seems pretty intuitive. The only question I have has to do with scale. I assume the resulting DWG file will be in the same scale of the Sketchup drawing?

Yes, the dwg file should stay the same scale. Just be sure to use parallel projection.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.