Import Materials in Sketchup 2020 as we used to in Sketchup 2016

Hello,

I’ve a query :

The way we used to import materials in Sketchup 2016 (screenshot attached), by selecting a material via eyedropper, import material and wholla, it gets applied to all the same materials in the model.

Now, in Skp 2020 (as far as I understand), we need to import a material and apply to all the selected faces. So, if I have a load of ‘same’ materials in the model, in different components / groups, I need to match them each individually.

I believe this is wasting more time than before.

There might be a simpler way to do it which I’ve just missed. Would appreciate a solution to this.

Cheers.

That screenshot shows an old version of V-Ray. If you updated SketchUp, you would need the latest V-Ray, as well. A few things has changed.

1 Like

Mike, I have the new Skp & latest version Vray too. (find the screenshot attached).

Hope you get my query, the easier way of importing the materials, via eyedropper tool and import material in Skp 2016 and V-ray 2.0 is not so easy in Skp 2020 & Vray 4.0. Guess my query is better put now.

Let me know if you have a solution.

Thanks.

So this is actually a V-ray issue, not a SketchUp issue. You might want to contact the folks at Chaos Group and make your request. They are more likely to see it and address it if you do that.

2 Likes

I understand. Will do that.

But would appreciate if someone here has a solution to that.

In the old version of V-Ray (2.0), Import Material opened a window that allowed you to import a *.vrmat file

In V-Ray Next you can click on this icon at the bottom of the V-Ray Asset Editor window, it will give you the same possibility to import a *.vrmat file

I understand Mihai, that it does let me open the .vrmat file. But unfortunately, it doesn’t directly applies on the Material selected. The opening a material file is not the issue, but the application on the materials. It lets you apply on the selection, to the layer, etc. Not the material that is repeated several times in the whole model, as it’d in Vray 2.0

I see.

Does that help you?

Thanks Mihai, yes this does. However, I feel the old way was easier and more direct. Thanks again for your input. Appreciate it. Cheers.

1 Like