import/Export

Hey y’all,

I do a lot of importing and exporting between AutoCAD , CorelDraw , Illustrator , and Sketchup , and I’m still trying to find the best way to do this. For this specific situation, I’m importing a Logo that has a Font not available in SketchUp or AutoCAD . So, I typically receive an EPS file, open it up in Corel or Illustrator, export it as a DWG file, then import to SketchUp. By this time most of the lines and arcs do not retain their smoothness and I end up rebuilding the object in my model. Any thoughts on a way to do this more easily and cleaner with a vector file?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

SketchUp does not have smooth curves, only segmented ones. You can get a smoother appearance by increasing the number of segments, but you will never get a perfectly smooth curve.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. Yes, I am very aware that the curves are not actually smooth, and that the arcs turn into line segments when imported. So, I guess I should rephrase… I’m looking for a better way to import a vector graphic into SketchUp, that might be less intrusive to the original artwork, than the process that I have typically been using. I’m curious if there has been a new development within the last 20 years that I am not aware of. So, if anyone has some helpful suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

drew

also do a lot of signage design, generally like you I end up rebuilding the graphics in SU with the arc tool… controlling the smoothness as needed there… I also make a point of setting out control points in autocad before importing… [eg curve radius points) . Generally though the 3d work is for construction detailing and visualisation… not for graphics setout so artwork does not have to be exact!

PS, use Twinmotion for renders… very quick and works well with SU…

For complex artwork I generally set it up with Affinity Designer ( not a fan of Adobe or Autodesk) export as a png and then paint as a texture in SU… eg

Present all signage work in powerpoint.A3…

much more versatile, universal and quicker than Layout…

PPS… finding TomTom’s “Edge Tools” helpful in optimising artwork…

To achieve similar goals, I also work with all of these programs in roughly the same way. The latest versions of AutoCAD and SU already work together without breaking curves into too long segments. I was even more concerned about the lack of correct interpretation of line connection points inside SU. But I found a way to deal with it.

I will show an example. Here is what I told you about. The shape of the red letters is malformed inside SU.

In CorelDRAW I work in Wireframe view. I ungroup the original objects so far that only the curve (or curves) remains. Then use the Shape Tool to select ALL nodes on the curve and press the Break curve button.

As a result, I obtain a curve consisting of individual (straight or curved) fragments.

If necessary, you can also execute the Object / Break Curve Apart command. Before exporting this drawing to DWG, make sure that all curves have an Outline Pen as Hairline. It is usually set to None for artistic objects.

The difference is visible.

gsharp
Thank you for your input… Yes, the 3D modeling of the signs is just for my client, while the EPS files will be sent as artwork to the fabricator. I will certainly look into these programs and TomTom’s plug-in.
drew

kamambers
That’s exactly the same problem that i am having with the fonts. i didn’t think about breaking the linework apart in CorelDraw first. i will definitely try this process prior to exporting. Thank you for the detailed examples… much appreciated.
drew

1 Like

Select the paths in Illustrator or Corel, add enough anchor points and finally straighten the segments. This will give you a better approximation and more control than letting the importer convert the bezier curves by itself. They tend to become either way too coarse or way too dense, probably according to the phase of the moon…