.ifc import generates imported object in one color

Hello everybody,

I have a issue with importing .ifc files in SketchUp Pro. It looks like there is a issue with the .ifc import function where every object is filled with one color.

The following steps were made;

1. I have created a number of different windowframes in SketchUp.
  2. I export them as an .ifc
  3. When I import this .ifc-file back into SketchUp all the windowframes are filled in all different colors other than generated.
  4. It looks like the last generated color in a object/Windowframe is used for the complete object.

a. Am I doing something wrong?
b. is there something wrong in the .ifc?
c. is there something wring in the way I import the .ifc?
d. a bug in the export/import function of SketchUp?
e. something else?

In the enclosed attachments you’ll find the screenshots, .skp and generated .IFC.

I’m looking forward for your response and help.

kind regards

Window IFC Test.skp (4.8 MB)
IFC Import issue.zip (1.5 MB)

The native export of ifc lacks a few things: materials and attributes.
The only thing that does, is the classification type (eg. ifcBeam)
That’s it.

Try the ifcmanager:

Is it the exporter or importer that is behaving weird in this case?

EDIT: also, the thing is: ifc.is not intended for material (as in object colorization) transfer (hence the lack of textures). It is intended for Building Information. From the screenshots, since i have absolutely no view on the transferred properties of the objects, I judge they both are perfectly the same and valid, bim-wise.

Hi Mike,

thank you for the reply. I’m already using the BIM tools IFC manager.

Our standard procedure is to generate our .ifc’s with the BIM-Tools exporter and our clients are always happy with the properties of the model. So the data is not an issue. It’s solely the import in SketchUp.

And it looks like both the native and BIM tool exporter are doing just fine. When I import the .ifc in Trimble Connect I see a perfectly fine model, as do our clients who mostly view it with Revit. So it is kind of strange that that all other tools are handling the colors fine. Also worth mentioning is that when I load revit generated .ifc models all the colors are imported just fine in SketchUp.
WIndow view Trimble Connect

So, if I understand it is the combination of native export > native import behaves bad? But, native export > other tool import is fine? And, other tool export > native import is fine as well?

OP is using the BIM-tools IFC manager, so export is good. It is thus the importer (native)
(but also the native exporter…)

are you located near Zaanstad?

Well, OP states that both exporters seem to do fine.

Could you also point out what is wrong with the native exporter?

@kengey : no :slight_smile:

@MikeWayzovski yes :slight_smile:

1 Like

but is doesn’t. lot’s of threads around:

Hi Kenkey, I just looked into it, and while other models looks fine, it looks like those windowframes are build out of all separated .ifc windows. that is probably why those windows look fine. But every element is indeed build in one color. So I think the conclusion so far is that it is not bad, but consistent.

Well, OP states that both exporters seem to do fine.
Could you also point out what is wrong with the native exporter?

Well it looks like both exporters giving the same results color wise.

no :slightly_smiling_face:

Well I should use it as a standard, although I’m not that deep into it that I know the major differences in the 2;)

are you located near Zaanstad?

Whow whow whow, hé Jack goeiemorgen:) Born and raised, maar nu in Delft :joy:

1 Like

Ook goeiemorgen! Gebruik je de kozijnen extensie? Het kan zijn dat die ook mapped via de IFC-Manager exporter, en dus correct exporteert.

(ik dacht eerst aan Visser Kozijnen)

kwartje is gevallen. ik ben er ook even mee aan het stoeien.Ik weet van Erwin dat je de ifc-manager ook moet installeren.

Ook goeiemorgen! Gebruik je de kozijnen extensie? Het kan zijn dat die ook mapped via de IFC-Manager exporter, en dus correct exporteert.

Volgens mij gebruikt hij die ook. Result is visueel iets anders maar nog steeds niet wat ik wil.

but is doesn’t. lot’s of threads around:

Ha, ok, so still a lot of improvement needed to be done. … guess I got the answer…

This is because the subgroups / components are not classified.

During the native IFC import, SketchUp reads the material properties, but at a classified object level.
Unfortunately, the material names are replaced by SketchUp in the form of < auto1 >, < auto2 > etc.
Basically, sub / child objects that are not classified inherit a color from their parent object.

I added a test file for clarification.
Color IFC Test.skp (206.4 KB)

2 Likes