IFC import failed

Hello everyone,

This is my first time asking for help on this platform, and I hope the community can assist me. I have been using SketchUp for 5 years as part of my work in an engineering office. I am using the Studio version of SketchUp, and in particular, I use the Scan Essentials extension for modeling existing buildings.

As part of my work, I regularly import IFC files. However, for the past 3-4 weeks, I have been unable to import these files. I immediately receive an “Import Failed” error message without the import even starting.

Here is what I have already tried:

• I checked the IFC version, which is 2x3.
  • I tried using other extensions, such as SIMLAB, which managed to import a model but it was completely corrupted (e.g., black faces, multiple groups, and sub-groups).
  • I reinstalled SketchUp.
  • I attempted to import the files without any extensions enabled.

Other users have been able to import the models, and I have also tried with files that I have previously been able to open successfully. Nothing has worked…

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Do you know of any solution or an extension that could help?

Thank you in advance, everyone.

Are you importing into a new empty SketchUp model file? … or an existing file with geometry?

What are the IFC units and what is the SketchUp model units?

Have you tried Ifc Manager to import the file? Have your model loaded Ifc classifications?

The IFC Manager extension uses the native IFC import function, but performs an optimization at the end of the import.

1 Like

A quick way of testing if the issue is with (conflicting) extensions is to rename the Plugin folder that resides in this path:
%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023

I have the same problem since updated to 2023 version. I use the 2022 version for import and then save it to a skp file.
Really frustrating.
Maybe it’s time too contact the support: prosupport@sketchup.com

Are you using the latest maintenance release of v.2023? Have you tried repairing your installation ?

Hi Anssi!
Yes have the latest version.
3 months ago I cleaned up my computer and reinstalled everything. Didn’t help. I have contacted the pro support. Letting you know when they answer.