Identifying error resolved with copypaste

I have a building model created photogrammetrically, badly. Recreating it from scratch is not an option for me. I need to repair it to make a solid manifold. Exporting out from my software (ArcPRO) to Collada, I get no error messages. But when I import it into Sketchup 2015 and 2017PRO trial version I get an error message saying ‘Import failed’. Not why. So going back I have exported my model to shapefile (multipatch geometry) and then used FME to convert it to collada and also to skp. I am testing after all and trying to understand…I can open both files in sketchup but I keep getting weird artefacts when I zoom in closer to view and repair. I have installed the Cleanup and Solid Inspector extensions and used them. I have brought the model closer to the axes as mentioned on some posts. I can only get the artefacts to not occur (model to stabilize) if I copy and paste all components into another new, empty sketchup landscape. Can anyone advise me what sort of error is likely to cause this? And yes, I am thinking I should go and complain to the other software people.
Knowing what an impossible question this is without some other info (but I don’t know what), I anticipate someone asking for the skp file so I am uploading it. I am relatively shp2coll2skp_nolocal.skp (111.6 KB)
new to sketchup. Have dragged and dropped image (.png) to show funny artefacts too.

shp2coll2skp_nolocal_Solid.skp (106.3 KB)

Distance from origin would be my guess.

1 Like

That’s the crux of it.
You have reset the axes.
If you undo that, then the model’s origin is ~ 7530683.07m away from the geometry.
This will break things.
The jittery orbit etc is indicative of this.

To fix it ensure everything is ‘visible’.
Select all and start the Move tool.
Select the corner you’d like to be at the origin and…
Type [0,0,0] +enter
The geometry whizzes off to the origin.
Use Zoom Extents to reset the view.
That problem is now resolved.

1 Like

Hi Geo and Box
Geo: That is very kind of you. However the skp solid inspector now returns 1 nested instance (I don’t know what that is yet) in your skp and I still don’t know what the answer to my question is. I have managed to close the model too, but only after copypasting to a new skp. Then the graphics stabilised enough to work on them.
Box: I fixed the distance from origin in the begin as I saw many posts referred to that one. It does make some improvement but doesn’t resolve the underlying issue - in my case.
I am trying to understand the causes of different kinds of errors and group them to develop a trouble shooting diagnosis procedural ‘check list’ if you will.
Ah, TIG, your reply has just come through.
Kaching!
So my method of resetting the origin was wrong! Sorry, Box.
You’re all stars!
I leave my shame up for others. Lesson: resetting the axes does not change the origin.

No need to say sorry to me, Tig confirmed my guess.

Thanks again. I read so many chats about it…
I guess I must blame all the different disciplines and packages. Terminologies get a bit blurred. You must be so sick of repeating yourselves.
Now I’m looking for how to implement such simple sounding instructions. Hunting for the place to type 0,0,0… I’ll find it, and learn whilst I’m at it…

Don’t look for it, start the move then let go of the mouse and type [0,0,0] and hit enter.

There is no place - you just let go of the mouse and type (same as when entering any other precision values in SketchUp)! Be sure to include the square brackets, they are what tells SketchUp you mean an absolute position. Also note that, as usual, if your locale uses a comma for the decimal point, you need to use a semi-colon between the values, as [0;0;0].

Think of a Component as a ‘container’ which isolates the geometry within.
You can ‘nest’ a Component inside another Component … much like the Matryoshka dolls below.

In SketchUp, the Outliner displays the model hierarchy.
Look to the top menus …Window > Default Tray > Outliner

If you opened my model directly, Outliner looks like this:
Opened Directly

However, if you imported the model into SketchUp, Outliner looks like this:
Imported

Apparently, you import the model into SU.

Simply right context click on the topmost or ‘parent’ component > Explode.
Then, Window > Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.