Icon needs to be fixed

The app icon is the wrong size to match Mac icons. Super minor but messes with my OCD.Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.42.08 PM

3 Likes

Agreed.

Side note, why do you have Find My Mac in the dock?

This has been pointed out before, but I don’t remember what was the reason for the oversized icon.

They said the logo looked to small at the right size, so instead of scaling it up inside the rectangle, they just scaled up the rectangle instead.

I remember it a bit differently…

Early on the new icon had no backdrop, but it was hard to see the darker blue against a dark mode desktop, so the white backdrop was added. But, they didn’t go back and rework all of the icons to fit into a smaller space, in order to make the white backdrop be the more normal size. The existing icons stayed as designed, and the backdrop was made to be bigger.

1 Like

That’s what I meant :wink:

But it should be fixed. Super simple and makes Mac users happy.

1 Like

I have always modified the icons anyway so that I could tell different year versions apart in the dock. My 2018 was pretty sloppy, :sweat_smile:. For 2021 I cut out the icon from the white square and resized it on a white hex to make the edges stand out. You are welcome to use the image file if you prefer it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 8.29.57 PM

1 Like

I can think of one or two things I would rather they fixed first.

3 Likes

You could have used resister color coding, based on the last digit of the year. Like, Orange for 2013, yellow for 2014, and so on. Mind you, 2020 would have been black, and 2021 be brown.

5 Likes

Resistor color coding, nice, I had to look that one up:

download

I’d be more likely to use sling capacity color coding :grinning: That’s something I know.

sling-colour-chart

2 Likes

TBH, I hadn’t noticed the size difference until I read this post. But now I see that several of my icons are the larger size, not just the Sketchup ones. Can’t say it bothers me though. Maybe it would if I got me some of that OCD stuff.

1 Like

Simon, don’t you mean that CBD stuff?

You’re just spliffing hairs now…

Lets call it the TLA stuff then.

1 Like

I have made mine more ‘in sync’ with Trimble Connect:

2 Likes

How do you change the icon like that? I guess I can google it

I created the logo’s in LayOut:

took a screenshot (you can also create multiple pages and then export as png)
Open the png, copy (Cmd C)
Rightclick on the app in application folder, choose ‘Show Info’ and then select the icon on top.
Then hit Cmd V

icons.layout (188,8 KB)

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.29.30 AM

Ok I spent 2 minutes and fixed it. I need to spend 5 minutes to make it perfect but its already much better. I did it in photoshop while eating an egg and cheese on a croissant … didn’t know you can swap out icons like that :slight_smile: Thank you Sketchup forum!!! Now maybe I will change the Photoshop Icon to a white background. The dark blue looks smaller? Oh darn…I have entered a rabbit hole…
Attached the 5 minute version. If anyone uses layout I will do that if you ask nicely :slight_smile: I do not use it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.50.07 AM

whoops fixed the photoshop icon too :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.55.50 AM
took literally 20 seconds…

in case any of my OCD friends are out there

Untitled-1 copy

4 Likes

I, for one, LOVE your 2018 icon! :stuck_out_tongue: (Though I wouldn’t be able to handle looking at it every day.)

1 Like

I was responding to endlessfix’s janky icon for SketchUp 2018.

I didn’t create the SketchUp icons but can at least confirm, while it’s easy to make an icon, implementing it and redistributing it and all of the commitments it takes in a large organization… it isn’t as easy as one would think.

I’m thankful for the ability to easily create and swap an icon on MacOS and glad you’re able to create an icon that keeps your need for uniformity in check. (c: