Hyperlinks in Layout 2019?

Hello All -

Can you create hyperlinks inside text blocks in Layout 2019? I have a Layout file that I created in an older version of Layout and have hyperlinks in various places and it works well when exporting as a PDF. However, in Layout 2019 I can’t figure out for the life of me how to create a new hyperlink. What’s weird is that I can edit the hyperlinks that are already in there but I don’t see any way to create a new one. Am I just missing it somewhere?

Okay, I found a way to create links in Layout but I’m not sure if it’s the easiest or only way. When you create a new text area and select a piece of text that you want to make into a link, it only gives you the option to make into a link if Layout detects it as an actual URL. For example:

1. Create a new text area and enter in some text such as:

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry.

1. Select part of the text above, then right-click on your selection to get the sub menu. Notice that it does NOT give you the option to make it into a link anywhere in the menu options.

2. This time, add some text that follows the same pattern as a real url such as:

www.google.com

1. Now select that text and right-click to get the menu to appear. This time, notice how it gives you the option to “Make Link.” Select “Make Link”

2. Now if you want to change the text so that it’s different from the actual URL behind the scenes, you can change the text to something like “My Link.”

3. After changing the text, highlight the text again, right-click to get the menu and this time click “Edit Link.” Notice how it is still linked to www.google.com even though you changed the text to “My Link.”

I’m not sure if this is the right place to do it, but I’d like to make the feature suggestion to allow the user to create a link starting from any text and allow you to enter both the URL as well as the text label for the URL.

3 Likes

Hi there,
I try to make a link as explain but does not work for me ( only have right click option with standard text format :frowning: ).
I made a share online trimble 3D model with a direct link which is very long.
If I put it as text, PDF viewer recognise it as a web link so it works.
My problem is to fine a way to replace the text into layout ( as explain in tommy answer ) but impossible … Incredible that Layout does not propose this option … maybe I miss something …
thanks for your help

2 Likes

You miss OS, I guess . The OP is on a Mac.

I was able to copy/paste a long URL into LO , then type the link wording after the link and change the URL into white text so it becomes invisible and in the PDF it is also invisible.

… but come on TRIMBLE… are you serious ?

3 Likes

Dear SketchUp team - any chance you could update Layout to include an easy way to create Hyperlinks, and how about formatting the text to be the standard blue underlined so it looks like a web link. Please???

3 Likes

I am using Layout 2021 now and I can insert links just fine.
I have found the PDF export automatically recognises and creates hyperlinks from web addresses inserted as text in Layout.
If you copy and paste an address from your browser directly onto the page it is inserted as one long line of text. This then becomes a clickable link in the pdf export. It isn’t a clickable link in Layout, but it’s only in the PDF where I need it to be a link anyway.
I did find that if you try to stretch the text box smaller over multiple lines the link gives an error when clicked. I don’t know why so I just keep it as a long line of text and place it in a location where it fits on the page.