How to use push pull on a solid

I was checking out how to design a table - I want to make a solid tabletop and cut off a chunk of the corner. I noticed that before I make the tabletop a solid, I can use the arc tool on the edge to round the corner, as in the picture. But when I try to use the push-pull tool to cut off the corner it doesn’t work. Any ideas as to why this is, and whether there is another method I should be using, or do I just have to round the corners before I make it into a solid?

You have made the table top a group. Right click on the group and choose edit, or double click on it to modify the contents of the group.

1 Like

THANKS that clears up a lot

1 Like

If the table top is a group or a component, you must first enter its context to be able to edit it.

Usually, a double click shall do it.

Then you can add the arc and push it down.

A suggestion if you want to model such an object is to round the corners after drawing the rectangle and then pull the figure up. You will save drawing steps.

1 Like

Groups and components are like wrappers that encase geometry and prevent it from interacting with other geometry. This is the proper workflow to make a component or group out of all discrete elements of your drawing. Only groups or components can be solids. to work with the contents of a “wrapper” you need to open it up.

That helps to know. I was trying to experiment with making a table, then rounding the edges – AND being able to set up the legs as components so that I could round the edges on one leg and not have to do it 4 times. Had I drawn the table as a unit (before making the legs components, just using push pull to raise the legs individually) I could use the push pull on a corner and they would be flush. But it seems that if I want to do that and use components I have to do the tabletop and legs as separate things, which is fine, it just means I need to finagle stuff at the intersection points. C’est la vie.

Yes. This would be the correct work flow. It’s much like you’d make the table in real wood. You usually wouldn’t whittle a table like that from one solid piece of wood.

If I was modeling your table I would start with the front left leg, make it a component, copy that component to make the other three and get them in the right place before drawing the top on top of the legs and making it a component. And I would draw the aprons in between the legs before adding the top making sure each apron is a component, too, and copying as appropriate.

1 Like

That’s a good idea; I’d want to set up guide lines to make sure the legs copied in the right place; I’ve been modeling the top first so as to make it easier to place them. I also noticed that when I tried copying legs from one side to the other the orientation was retained (I didn’t do a rotational copy because the table wasn’t square but rectangular). I should have done 2 legs at once, then done whatever I was going to do to them, then done a 180 degree rotate/ duplicate.

I agree with what @DaveR wrote, and here are some additional thoughts.

As you position the copies of the leg component at the four corners, flip them around red and/or green axis so that the same edge points “out” at each corner of the table top. That way when you do the roundover, it will already be positioned correctly for all of them.

To duplicate the arc from the top onto a leg, open the top component for edit, copy the arc at the bottom of the table, close the top and open the leg, then edit paste in place to duplicate the arc at the top of the leg. Push-pull it down the edge of the leg and voila.

The way you’d copy the legs depends a lot on the type of legs you’ve got. As for using guidelines, that could be a good idea. If I do that I lay out the foot print of the table so I know where to put the copies of the legs.

Don’t forget that while moving copies of the leg to their positions, you can start a move in the right direction and type the desired distance to move. That can usually avoid the need for guidelines. And once you have a pair of legs on one side, you can select both at once and move them together across to the other side.

The Learning Center should answer and clear up more questions. The site is by the Sketchup Team.

I’ll check that out; generally the issue for me has been that the stuff is often geared to the desktop or pro versions, not the free edu versions. But we’ll see.

The modeling tools and work flow will be the same between web and desktop versions. It’s just the user interface that’s different.

Well right, that’s the problem! If the user interface differs enough it’s really hard to figure out just what is supposed to happen when and where. Not everyone is a software developer with an instinctual feel for what software tools do, and not everyone is glued to the screen for updates.

I have this problem with Fusion 360; the interface has been changed often enough that the instructional vids from Autodesk are pretty darn useless. And fighting my way through the file system got so frustrating I basically gave up on it. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be for 9th graders, who I teach, because the damned thing is so finicky. (And yes, Fusion 360 is “officially” part of the curriculum with some courses). UI issues are really important, and I get irrationally annoyed (not at you, just generally) when I see people act as though it doesn’t matter, or that people will just “figure it out.” Autodesk, for example, has UI issues, but it’s nowhere near as messed up as Fusion, which I am convinced was designed specifically to convince people not to use it at all.

While there is a wealth of SketchUp knowledge available on our YouTube channel and elsewhere, it can be confusing since most of the learning content is made using SketchUp Pro.

Here are a few tips to help you navigate the differences between the SketchUp for Schools and SketchUp Pro interfaces and get started with the web version.

1. SketchUp for Schools has a useful search function that will help you locate tools. If you hear a tool referenced in a SketchUp Pro tutorial, you can find it in the web interface by searching by name or function. You can also type in vocabulary/functions used by other software titles such as “extrude” and we will show you the SketchUp equivalent.

2. The instructor panel is a helpful resource for step-by-step instruction on how to use each of the SketchUp modeling tools and can be found on the right hand side of the web UI.

3. All of the SketchUp for Schools curriculum is developed using the web UI so it is a great resource for students and teachers alike. Each lesson plan has written and video tutorials that walk you through the use of each tool. These can be found in-app under the hamburger menu (top left corner).

3 Likes