How to thicken bent planar sheet to 3d

Sorry. You can erase those.
hidden

Dave,

I cannot get rid of the extra lines. I have made the object more rectangular but they still appear. When I mark that wedge the whole wedge disappears. Somehow you have only marked the lines. Can you explain how you did that? Thanks.rectcover2dbent.skp (17.3 KB)

Jerry

All I did is run the Eraser tool over the two hidden edges. Here I’ve done it again in your latest files?
erase

1 Like

Sounds like you have selected and deleted the ‘wedge’ like this.

1 Like

Dave,

Why do the lines appear in the first place? Thanks for your help!

I don’t know exactly in this case but when you deform geometry SketchUp will do its best to maintain faces even if it has to triangulate a larger face into smaller ones. Sometimes if you have hidden geometry visible when you do these things you’ll see added geometry temporarily appear but get cleaned up when you stop modifying.

Dave,

These extra lines are driving me crazy.
In the first case they had something to do with the 90 degree tab bend because the small wedge at its widest point was exactly the size of the tab line bend. Is there some consistent way to delete them?rectcover2dbent.skp (20.7 KB)

In this case the edges are not planar so the diagonal is required to support the faces. Here I’ve extended the edge at the fold (in blue) and the one at the end. You can see they aren’t parallel.

One thing to consider with that is if you were bending a piece of sheet metal this way, that “surface” wouldn’t be flat either. I expect you would need to separate the tabs to get them bent anyway.

This could be developed in real sheet with flat faces, the way you had your modeled, it couldn’t be.

rectcover2dbent d.skp (23.7 KB)

Here it is flattened out. You would have to make a cut on the blue line.

2 Likes