How To Remove Border in 3D Model

I have located a 3D model that I would like to use in my drawing, but when I download it onto my sketch, it has a black border around it. I am trying to figure out how to remove this border, if possible.

Thanks,

PB

Give us a clue. A link to the model or at the very least a screenshot.

Hopefully you can see what I’m referring to - the black border surrounding each of the shrubs.

Thanks,

PB

Go View and turn off edges. Or Open the component for editing and select the edges and hide them.

1 Like

Box,

Thanks for your reply. When I turned off “edges” in view, the border around the shrub did not disappear. I then tried to edit the component and I did not get an option to hide the edges. I only get options to edit the alignment.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,

PB

If the tree was imported as an image you will need to explode it first (right click), then you can go in and hide the lines around the edges. If it’s already a component then open it for editing and manually select the outside lines then hide them, Edit>Hide or eraser tool with Option key.

1 Like

Endlessfix,

Thanks for you reply. I imported the tree from the 3D warehouse. I tried to explode it but I could not edit anything. When I select it as a component, likewise, I cannot seem to get an option to edit it and remove/erase the edges.

Is it not possible to edit something imported from the 3D warehouse?

Thanks again,

PB

Yes, it IS always possible to edit things from the 3D warehouse.

Please provide a link to the component you downloaded.

I was not able to get a link, but if you go to the 3D warehouse and search for Green Giant Arborvitae, one option appears: Thuja Green Giant by Robert B. That’s the one I imported and am unable to edit to remove the black border around the shrub.

Thanks,

PB

I’m not at the computer but it feels like there may be some confusion about editing a component. To be clear, to edit a component you double click on it. You should see a dotted line bounding box around it and the rest of the model should go a bit grey. Are we on the same page?

If so then switch to the eraser tool and with the Edit: Shift key pressed, click on one of the lines.

And yes do upload your model if you can or provide a URL for the tree in the warehouse.

Yep… just double click the component and use the erase tool.
Hold CTRL to hide the edges…

Thanks Jasonwd. Unfortunately, this is not working for me. When I use the eraser on the black border lines after double clicking to edit, the whole shrub disappears. I feel like this should not be this hard!

You need to HOLD SHIFT while using the eraser to HIDE the edges, using Jasons method…

Or another more unpopular way using menus. I hold CTRL while using the select tool, to select multiple edges…

1 Like

Hiding individual objects is kinda temporary. Next time you’re tempted to say, “show all”, they all come back again. Wouldn’t a better strategy be to move them to a new layer, and then just hide that layer all the time?

Thanks all. Holding Shift did the trick! Again, thanks for all of the help.

I wouldn’t promote that myself, in my experience moving raw geometry to a layer other than “layer 0” bad stuff happens. Last time I accidentally did that it cost me three hours of my life…That’s another topic though…

I don’t believe that is the case. Edit>Unhide>All does not affect closed groups or components. You need to have a component open for editing, then apply the unhide all to unhide things within the component.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.