How to make this "little" heavy file, lighter?

I received this file and I feel it could be much more lighter…I need to put on 3D a project that have thousands of it and skp is not handling it. I know sketchup is not the most appropriate software to work with this big number of complex models, due the fact that it wont take advantage of all the computer power but for now is the only software that I have a license…so…

How to make this little heavy file, lighter?
Arranjo Redondo Pequeno cores quentes pra limpar.skp (4.4 MB)

1 Like

First: purge the file. Find it under WINDOW /MODEL INFO / STATISTICS / PURGE

CHANGE TO A SIMPLE STYLE WITH NO TEXTURES, DELETE UNUSED LAYERS, TURN OFF SHADOWS, I USE WOODWORKERS STYLE, TURN OFF GROUND AND SKY, REMOVE ANY UNNECESSARY OBJECTS AND ENTITIES. PUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE INTO GROUPS.
IF YOUR MODEL HAS CONTOURS, RUN THE SIMPLIFY CONTOURS EXTENSION. DELETE NON ESSENTIAL LAYERS. DO THIS VERY CAREFULLY.

THE IDEA IS TO GO AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE.
DELETE ANY SCENES, ETC

I do it all but the the extension that simplify…going to try it…thanks
they said here on the forum that scenes wont make the file any slower…and the same with the textures…

Regarding scenes, they seem to have negligible effect on performance unless and until there are hundreds or even thousands of scenes in the model.

As for textures, they definitely impact rendering time. The larger the texture image, the slower the performance. Textures that are much over 1000 or 2000 pixels in either dimension will be slow. Using the Monochrome face style (View menu) helps to improve performance.

I didnt find any improvements in the monocrhome style. Hiding sky and ground make any?

I found only simplify contours for lines…not solids…wish that was some extension that could do the same but not only for lines. :thinking:

I find the Cleanup3 extension to be quite handy for making files more manageable. It gives you an array of items that you can purge: unused materials, duplicate faces, stray lines, empty groups, etc. Has saved me countless times.

Simplify Contours is intended for minimizing contiguous arcs as you might find in a topo drawing. These can be made up of many line segments. It essentially turns the segments into a polyline; essentially from many segments down to one.

That’s another way to simplify the model: use CONVERT TO POLYLINE on contiguous lines too…,.

I’d post your question on the Sketchucation.com forum. Many developers there as well as extensions.

If you’re going to render and don’t need them visible convert them into proxy’s, there’s a plugin that can do that. They will be shown just like a wireframe box on the model but they’ll be shown on the render.

There’s a free plugin called universal importer that can reduce the polygons of any model, but you must know how to use it properly because it can make really messy low poly versions of the model. I’ll try to use it on your file and upload it here later.

Just checked your file, It´s not heavy for the amount of geometry it has cause there are few components that are copied to make the bouquet, It says 4,4 mb but when I downloaded it was just 4,4 kb so you shouldn’t have any issue making some copies of it, and if you have you can make them proxy´s while you work on the model, since the bouquet is a component if you proxify or de-proxify only one all the instances will be affected by the changes you make.

the problem is that those bouquet are already files to be proxy in Enscape. And escape dont recognize proxies inside proxies

4,4kb? really? how come

If you have thousands of these, then you are going to run into issues even when you get to enscape

I made a cube of 1000 of them and it brought my machine to it’s knees.
I also had to disable hardware accelerated raytracing as all of this foliage has a huge memory footprint - this will impact the image quality at the end also.

As or individual optimisations - this leaf is made from 500 straighty edges - there are 231 of these in the model

These could be simplified like so using a transparent PNG

But ultimately I think this is not really going to be very suitable for a real time renderer .

It’s why plants and grass tend to be extremely simplfied - this is a common way of doing plants

You can do this for say 90% of these, then when you need a “hero” asset, you use the full 3d one - in situations where it is taking up large parts of the screen and the fidelity is required