How to make the block diagram of geological structure

I want to know how to make the block diagram of geological structure : bird’s-eye view of some geologic sections. Please teach me.

1 Like

Could you show an example of what you’d like to do?

Thank you for your reply. I send you the exsample of block diagram.
I made the geologic cross sections by JWcad (Japanese free cad ) and dxf files.
If possible, I want to attach the geologic map to the block diagram.
Best Regards.
norisan

What is a “block diagram”?

Or are you looking to create a terrain surface? You could try importing your section lines into SketchUp, placing them into their correct locations and using the Sandbox from Contours tool to place a surface on them.

Anssi

I have to agree with @Anssi: I’m not yet clear what you are trying to create. Your image shows a set of profile surfaces (pieces of paper with one edge cut to a shape) that intersect each other in a somewhat irregular grid. Do you want to create a similar set of objects in SketchUp? If so, how is the data defining the profile surface locations, orientations, and top profiles to be loaded? What about the red and black lines that evidently denote faults?

Or are you perhaps asking how to lay a terrain map over top of such a set of objects? If so, what do the cut out top edges of your “blocks” correspond to? The terrain surface?You can get a terrain elevation surface from Google Earth by geolocating the model, by loading contours, or by various other import methods. If you do that, you will likely have to tweak the vertical scales of the “blocks” vs the terrain to get heights to match.

Dear Anss
Thank you for your e-mail.
I couldn’t have convinced whether I could make the terrain surface by
Sketchup.
I try to make it by Sketchup. If a problem occurs, would you teach me.
Best Regards.
norisan

Here is a rough example. I drew a series of profiles, selected them and clicked on the Sandbox from Contours tool. Sandbox tools are a feature of SketchUp that can be activated in the Window menu>Preferences>Extensions window.

Anssi

Thank you for your e-mail.
Resently, I couldn’t have read the home page of Skechup forum.
Sorry for the delay of your reply.
Red lines and black lines are corresponding to the thrust faults and the groundwater levels.
So, I will make the fault plane and the groundwater surface by your sandbox medelling.
Best Regards.
norisan