How to import an asc file into sketchup?

Hello, I can’t find a way to import an .asc file in order to have the topography of my land on sketchUp. Do you have a solution for this?
Thank you

I tested importing an .asc file into MeshLab

then Filters > Point Set > Compute normals for point sets

Filters > Remeshing, Simplifications and Reconstruction > Surface Reconstructions Screened Poisson

Export as 3ds file, import in SketchUp

Also, if you search on Google, you’ll find other options.

1 Like

Thank-you for your prompt response. I followed your procedure but the result is not consistent with reality as you can see with the photos below. Do you have any idea what’s wrong?

Now that you have added a little information about your file (second photo shared), it may be more appropriate to use CloudCompare for importing, creating the surface and exporting it in an importable format in SketchUp.

Good morning,
I also had to import a topographic file in asc format and I had the same problem as @chahlal07.
The problem comes from the fact that the .asc file format is not standardized.

The format wanted by MechLab is detailed here.
https://codeyarns.com/tech/2011-08-17-asc-file-format-for-3d-points.html#gsc.tab=0

The source format can be anything (and usually just elevation)
It is therefore a question of reworking it to put it in the format desired by MeshLab.
It’s not too hard because the .asc format is readable in a text editor, but you’ll have to write a code !!!

Then @mihai.s procedure works perfectly.
I just made 2 changes to it.
I used
1 - “Surface Reconstructions Ball Pivoting” instead of “Surface Reconstructions Screened Fish”
2 - I had to do a “Simplification Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation” to reduce the number of polygons because my point grid had 1,000,000 points which is way too much for the 3ds format

Hope It could help !