How to finish a symmetrical model with components?

Hi everybody.

I’m doing a symmetrical model and I made every half a component, now I want to join them but I want to remove the lines for every connected edges (joints). I know I can smooth them (sometimes delete) if I explode the model first but I’d like to keep them as components because I already gave them a name.
How do people usually do this?

This is an example and its .skp file:

question

example.skp (29.5 KB)

Thanks in advance.

I would open the half block for editing before copying and flipping its geometry and erasing the seam lines. There are other gymnastics you can go through that amount to the same thing.

You could explode the right side copy you made, cut its geometry to the clipboard, open the left side and paste it in place.

Thank you DaveR.

In your answer you tell me two options.
The .gif you attached looks like this one:

“You could explode the right side copy you made, cut its geometry to the clipboard, open the left side and paste it in place.”

But I don’t understand this another one because if I erase the seam lines the faces disappear (if I do before copying and flipping):

“I would open the half block for editing before copying and flipping its geometry and erasing the seam lines.”

Edited to apply format styles.

If you do NOT explode the half-parts, you can edit one of them, and use Erase+Shift to HIDE the 4 edges which abut in the half-instances.
The original and mirrored instances will then share a hidden edge set where they touch.
Editing one half will then show the changes in the other mirrored version automatically, halving the work needed to add details etc…

1 Like

There is no seam line before you copy, flip and move the geometry into place.

As TIG wrote, you could leave the block as just half of the full block and hide the edges and faces at the seam. It depends upon what you need from the model when you are finished.

Thanks, I think it’s clear now.
But I’m not sure if hidden lines can have a different effect for this I’m doing because there are curved shapes involved and I maybe apply some textures.
I will show you my model when it’s finished (It’s almost done) and I’ll ask several questions about it because it has been harder than I thought (because I probably has not experience enough).

This is what TIG was referring to.
sym
It leaves the halves of the block as separate instances of the same component. This can have some benefits.
sym2

1 Like

Interesting point :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.