Looking for some woodworking toys and cars I found one which took my attention, it was the Chevrolet Pickup from 1928 (not sure about the date). It took me some time to identify what model it was, then I compilated similar woodworking pictures from different points of view and a 1930-1931 Ford model A blueprint from its side view which it’s pretty similar to the model I was insterested so I used it as reference.
These were the pictures I got, not all of them are the same, they make little differences.
My goal was to get almost a final result and then ask here several questions related to the process to model it, because it was harder than I thought, and it’s probably because I haven’t practice or study enough.
These are pictures of what I got as result so far (I maybe include something new or decide to fix something).
I attach the .skp file here: old_chevy_pickup.skp (2.7 MB)
I made components for everything and some groups (maybe it wasn’t a good idea at all) inside certain components for little details I don’t want to get glue/snap, I think DaveR recommended components for everything or almost everything but the reason why I didn’t was because I don’t want a big list of components which I don’t know which is which). It’s also complicate to find a name that you can identify later what piece is, even with the thumbnail.
I’d really appreciate if some of you inspect the file to know your opinions, things I did wrong, things I did right. I have lot of questions but I think I can start with these ones:
- Some recommendations for the name of the components?
- Should I do more components inside another ones?
- Does it look too tight?
- It would easy to change the width or it would require to draw from scratch certain shapes?
- About the mudguard / splashboard it would possible to round it? I tried with follow me tool but I didn’t get the result I expected (like in the real woodworking picture). I didn’t try with round corners extension because I’d like to do with as many native tools as possible.
- For example I had some troubles for the lights, what I finaly did was I draw a line along the one I drew the different parts and then I moved every piece along one of the axes, finaly I deleted the line.
- For the door handle I did something similar, I drew two lines making an L shape and then the differents pieces along the path.
- About the wheels, I wasn’t able to find a middle point inside the wheel to place the cilinders shapes so I did an aproximation. The same happen for the large cylinder that connects the wheels and probably for other things I don’t remember right now.
- If you see the model from the bottom view you’ll realized wheels are in the air.
- There is no steering wheel (I’m still in time to draw it).
As I said I’d like to get recommendations, things wrong and some ways to fix it, if it’s not in this model in a future one.
EDIT to add one more question: When you compile several pictures as I did to use them as reference for your model, how do you manage all of them? I’m know with two monitors and I think it wasn’t enough. Is there any easy way to know their ratios / proportions?
Thank you so much.