How to eliminate 'Surface Border' or a 'frame' round my model highlighted by Solid Inspector

Hi,

Solid Inspector does not like the rectangle have drawn my survey within. If I delete the rectangle, it makes mattters worse. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Can you share the .skp file so we can see what you are working with?

Is your “survey” a 3D volume or is it just a terrain surface?

1 Like

Yes, I am just wondering where I can upload it?

If it’s less than 10 Mb you should be able to drag the .skp file into a reply in this thread. Otherwise, upload it to DropBox and share the link.

1 Like

WOO001 Overdraw of 4015 Proposed Levels, with correct windows and services 3D model.skp (2.6 MB)

Ah, thank you. Here it is.

OK. So it’s a flat 2D thing with just loose geometry you’ve got so far. A a solid must be a 3D component or group first of all. So at this point there’s really no reason for Solid Inspector to be used. What were you hoping it would do?

1 Like

I was planning to put the levels in from the survey and then make it 3D.

OK. Solid Inspector won’t make it 3D. All it will do is tell you that a 3D component or group meets the requirements to be considered solid.

1 Like

I was checking there were no gaps or stray edges that might cause problems later.

Solid Inspector won’t do that for you on a flat surface.

1 Like

Ok, clearly wrong use of Solid Inspector then! . I will proceed with inputting levels and then use Solid Inspector once I have a 3D model. Thanks for you help. Appreciated.

1 Like

Good deal. Just so you know, a solid is a 3D shape in which every edge is shared by exactly two faces. So no stray edges, no holes in surfaces, and no internal faces.

FWIW, this is a huge site you are working with. Is it really supposed to be that big? There’s a geo location terrain at the origin.

No, it’s not that big :slight_smile: :smiley: I had increased the scale so I could see what was happening. I now need to scale it back to its correct dimensions.

Ahh… I see. I wondered if you are designing for giants. :smiley:

:rofl: