How to cut a section out of a workbench top

I have a workbench top that is 36 x 60 with criss crossed dovetail grooves ever 6 inches and bench dog holes in the middle of each resulting square. I also have dovetail grooves around all 4 sides. How do I take out a 6 inch section so the resulting workbench top is 30 x 60? In the attached file, I copied one top and made the copy unique so that I could resize it without bothering the original that will be used as well. In other words, will have one 36 x 60 top and one 30 x 60 top that will be used as well. Workbench Top Plans.skp (987.2 KB)

Do you want to look at this like we did before?

What do you want to do with the dovetail grooves running in the short direction on the bottom? Do they stay at the same distance from the ends.

Yes, GoToMeeting would be great

PM sent

If I remove one entire section that has one of the grooves on the bottom - the other two grooves will be equidistant from the ends

1 Like

So for later use, here’s basically what we did.

Make sure the top is shown as a solid and clean it up if it isn’t. Draw a box the width of the strip you want to remove. Height and length aren’t critical. Just bigger than the top. Make that box a component or group.

Since the top is a component and we want it to remain as a component, use Difference from BoolTools2 as I did or Subtract from Eneroth Solid Tools to subtract the geometry of the top where the box is. You can use the native Solid Tools but keep in mind it would convert the component to a group.

Select the geometry from part of the component and move it to meet the rest.

Erase the coplanar edges at the seam. Or use CleanUp3 like I did. Check to see that the component is still shown as solid.

1 Like

Something to be aware of, and I’m actually not sure why it is happening, you have a guide within one component that is causing the bounding box to be too big. I noticed because when I centered it on the origin it was obviously sightly off center. As you see here if you delete the guide the bounding box fits the geometry.
GuideIssue

Edit: I’m going to guess that you first made a guide point to position the guide, then deleted the point. At least that is the only way I have found to make it happen.

1 Like

No “guidepoints > then deleting them” needed.
I’m not sure this is a change in behavior but it appears that the insertion point of (infinite) guides is used to determine the bounding box if the guides are included in the component. I don’t think this was so in previous versions. I find it undesirable that guides (their insertion point!) can expand the bounding box.

3 Likes

Yes I see now what you mean.
Bad%20Guide

1 Like