How to create groups or components

… On the iPad Pro. This is my only computing device.

It doesn’t really work on an iPad, much as I wish it would. The problem is the iOS interface has no way to move and hover the cursor without also clicking. In SketchUp you need to do the two things separately, but in iOS it’s one and the same, so it’s mostly an issue baked into the iPad interface.

In the desktop version on which SketchUp for web is based on, a group can be created with:

• menu Edit → Create Component (or Create Group)
  • Keyboard shortcut Ctrl K
  • secondary button → Create Component
    (Note: a secondary button click is a right-click if you are a right-hander, a left-click if you are a left-hander, or any other accessibility method that emulates it if you are not using a mouse.)

In SketchUp for Web, a full menu does not exist (but is also not replicated by toolbar buttons, which touch-friendly user interfaces would have).

The last two options remain if you can find a way to manually invoke the onscreen keyboard or if your browser supports invoking a secondary button event.

Except there is no default keyboard shortcut for Create Group in the Desktop version.
Screenshot%20-%204_15_2019%20%2C%209_37_40%20AM

On the desktop, K is the default shortcut for ‘show bacK edges’ (as dashed lines).

has anyone found a way to group on a chrome book

Can’t you select the geometry and then context click and choose Create Group? You should also be able to choose Create Component or hit G to create the component.

The context click doesn’t work but the G for components did. Thanks

1 Like

So clicking with two fingers on the touch pad doesn’t open the Context menu? Or what about Alt+a single finger tap on the touch pad?

are you talking about the dialog box with the options to orbit, zoom, walk, etc.

No. I’m talking about the Context menu. What it shows depends on what you have selected. With some geometry selected, you should get the options to create group or component along with some other things.

It’s the free version. I guess that’s why I couldn’t group it

You should be able to create a group with the context menu in the free version.

This is what I get image|690x460

It doesn’t look like you have anything selected. Hit the spacebar to get the Select tool or click on the arrow on the left toolbar. Triple click on the geometry so it is all selected. Then Context click on it.

It works the same way as in SketchUp 2018 Pro which your profile indicates you’ve been using.

I can’t get that box up after selecting because once I do and click it deselects the model

Make sure the cursor is on the selected geometry when you context click.

it is

I don’t know what else to tell you except make components.

Thank you, It worked! now all I need to know is how to take off the hidden geometry