How to create chamfers on odd shapes

There are many ways, some better than others for specific shapes.
The most basic is to simply use the move tool.
Here I have moved down on the blue axis, then up on the blue axis. I used the up arrow to make it move on the blue axis.
Chamfer

3 Likes

Thanks! This is a cool trick. How about making fillets instead of chamfers?

@DaveR gave you a link to some of the basic video tutorials, did you look at them yet? One of them discusses the Follow Me tool.
Here it is in action.
Fillet

3 Likes

Hi @Box , why are the edges are smoothed automatically when you moved faces/edges up&down to create the chamfer?

A quirk of fate, perhaps. Maybe because it’s part of a circle in this case. Can’t say I have spent much time contemplating why to be honest.
Who knows what the gods of su plan at any given time.

1 Like

You’re right, after some testing :face_with_monocle: I just came to a conclusion that if you draw a circle, extrude it, then create those chamfers and that automatic soft&smooth effect happens. (It doesn’t matter if you break the circle with lines afterwards, same thing happens! -partially- However this doesn’t happen with arcs.)

It’s still weird though. :flying_saucer:

1 Like

Thanks!
How should I specify the radius of the fillet to a specific value?
How can I change the radius of the fillet to a different specific value in the future?

How can I make the chamfer only on the cylinder edge, but not on the straight edge?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.