How to change the "nudge" increments to be more precise

If the thing is drawn as a Scaled Drawing, you can open the Scaled Drawing, select the object, and move it the desired distance using your real world dimensions. Here I’ve moved the square 3 scale inches over and 3 scale inches down from the corner.
move

It’s a few steps for such a simple thing, but it works.

What if it’s not a scaled drawing? In this case it is, but I don’t use scaled drawings much. I just tried the same thing with just a regular rectangle and it moved it way off the screen.

If it’s not a scaled drawing or you move it without opening the scaled drawing, the move distance is paper space. You’d have to calculate the scaled distance as paper space distance. Seems like a good reason to use Scaled Drawing in LayOut Or just model it in SketchUp.

FWIW, it wouldn’t hurt to stay on top of correct tag usage. All edges and faces should be created and left untagged.
Screenshot - 11_3_2021 , 3_57_22 PM

And purge unused stuff once in awhile.
Screenshot - 11_3_2021 , 3_57_41 PM

That reduced the SketchUp file size by 30%.

I haven’t purged this model yet, but I’m confused as to why raw geometry would be tagged anything other than “untagged”

I use the CleanUp3 extension to purge models, what did you use to check those tags?

I used TIG’s Default Layer Geometry to correct the tagging. Then I used his Purge Unused.

ok thanks

1 Like

Have you been exploding groups/components that have tags? One unfortunate (there is a reason for it) result of exploding a group is the contents of the group are given the tag of the exploded group, rather than Untagged. Best practice when exploding anything is to immediately untag everything while it is still selected.

That is probably it. And what is the reason for that?

Can’t say I remember or understand fully why it was deemed important, something to do with wanting nested groups to retain the layer of the parent. Someone else may have a definitive reason for you.

@Box is correct regarding exploding nested groups/components. Doing so makes the sub-components receive the tags. As he wrote, though, if you explode to raw geometry, you should immediately untag that geometry while it is still selected. In practice, though, you shouldn’t need to explode groups/components to raw geometry all that often.

1 Like

Take note, at no point did I say it was necessarily a ‘good reason’.

2 Likes

With the introduction of version 2 or 3, it was no longer needed to explode components to edit them(!)
With the rightclick > Select > all on same layer, you could easily group them again.

This relic from the past can cause various problems like misunderstandings of what is visible, but the main issue is when you start editing raw geometry that has several tags. It doesn’t prevent merging and it is also unpredictable what tags the geometry gets when extruding or intersecting (in combination of the setting in the tagpanel of the active tag)

There are no performance issues when geometry ‘inside’ objects have different tags. It’s better to have them all on one tag specifically for organizational reason’s, maybe, but there is no benefit in having it on another than the tag of the container.
For this reason, why not have them untagged in the first place.

Copies of Dynamic Components do behave the ‘oldfashioned’ way, btw.
But that might be another can😀

1 Like

I use the ‘nudge’ extension in Sketchup (available from Sketchucation). You can stipulate the amount of nudging… save the scene and update the model reference in Layout.

Also available here… Smustard(TM) - the Companion to Sketchup(TM) - Nudge

How’s that work in LayOut?

If I maneuver my model in Sketchup, I update the scene, save the model, flip back over to Layout, update the model reference. It usually takes a few trial and error kicks at it to get the result I’m after. A little convoluted, but, in lieu of a ‘nudge’ command in Layout… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You shouldn’t need to do those gymnastics to work in LayOut.

What version of SketchUp are you using? What OS? What graphics card? Please complete your profile.

Sketchup/Layout 2021. Mac OS 11.6.1

Please complete your profile.

So to clarify for others coming along, the extension you refer to does nothing to “nudge” entities in LayOut and so is not a solution to the OP’s question.

Apparently I have opened a can of worms here. As always, the feedback is very appreciated.

1 Like

I’m a massive Layout user as I do all my design work in layout - it’s just faster!!! Being able to control the “nudge” distance would be a godsend!