How to change dimensions of existing rectangle?

Share your .skp file so we can see exactly what you are working with.

This sounds like you have Length Snapping enabled and also that you aren’t actually typing distances for the Push/Pull tool.

1 Like

Hm. I only want to change the height but this suggests a way I can try to get that done. I don’t remember grabbing two points but maybe I’m clicking and dragging instead of clicking and releasing.

Thanks.

Yeah, I guess I need to try turning that off. In the push pull tool typing in a value is a relative offset not an absolute dimension unless I’m missing something. I do type in the size when I originally create a panel though I’ve learned 28.5,11.5,3 doesn’t also make it 3 inches deep.

No. You aren’t missing something.

Well, no. It wouldn’t would it? You are starting with the Rectangle tool, correct? A rectangle is a two dimensional thing. You would type 28.5,11.5 to get a rectangle and then use Push/Pull to give it thickness typing 3 to make it 3 inches thick.

If you really must draw a 3D box right out of the gate, you could use the Shapes extension from the Extension Warehouse. It’s create the box based on the dimensions you enter and set it’s lower front left corner at the origin.
ezgif-2-a71ba04640cf

Personally I think that makes for a lot more work in modeling but you can do it if you want.

1 Like

I must admit I’m a touch confused, you asked to change to a specific size and you gave two dimensions. I showed how to do that with one click and some typing but then you say you only wanted to change the height.
So grab the appropriate handle, move it in any direction, type the specific size you want including the unit, hit enter and it will go to that size.

1 Like

DaveR, thanks. Yeah, I guess it was dumb to think a 2d tool could make something 3d. D’Oh!

I can stick to making a dimensioned rectangle and push pulling to add the 3rd d. That 3d tool sound like more work as you suggest.

1 Like

Box, I read what you posted while laying in bed and got excited to try that. I jumped out and tried it and for some reason when I type in the dimension and unit (11" in my current case) then hit enter it doesn’t do anything. Can that be because I have a trial version? This thing is definitely a good tool so I likely will subscribe and get a better version. I don’t think I need the full pro version if there’s a middle weight one.

Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah, I should probably point out that I’ve only been using this for two or three days. I watched a couple of YouTube videos to get some tips. So if there’s confusion it’s most likely me.

You have to make sure you’re using your scale tool and that you’ve selected the correct handle for the transformation you desire. If you’re trying to adjust the height of something, select the geometry (or group), grab the handle at the center of the top, which will ensure your transformation is in that direction only (vs a corner), click, release, and type 11" and hit enter. Should work.

The trial version doesn’t limit your modeling functions.

I would like to note that while the scale tool can help resize things accurately, I actually prefer the push/pull or the standard “move” methods, and I can’t honestly say I use the scale method at all really anymore. I highly recommend getting used to both methods, as you’ll use them both regularly in SketchUp.

1 Like

One of the reasons that I would find the Shapes tool more work is that I generally model parts where they will live in the finished piece. That way I don’t need to know every dimension of every part to model it. I want SketchUp to give me the dimensions instead. And I don’t have to screw around getting the parts moved into place.

@monospaced made a comment about not using the Scale tool often. I’m with him. Scale works fine for something like changing the length of a simple box. It’s not appropriate for changing the length of something like the apron on a table because scaling the length will change the length of the tenons, too. In a case like that selecting the geometry on one end of the apron and using Move to change the length works well because it doesn’t change the length of the tenon.

2 Likes

Argh. I put dimensions onto the component of the side panel. Went into Edit Component and decided I’d use the push/pull to push that side down by the extra amount that shows in my dimension. When I tried it wouldn’t let me make it smaller. I could make it larger though.

In frustration I decided to create a new component with the dimensions I wanted all the way through. It chose an orientation to draw the rectangle I wasn’t fond of but I went ahead and created my component then rotated it. When I clicked it in my component list it brought me a new one in the original orientation. Argh again. I figured out how to get it to draw a rectangle in the size and orientation I wanted, added my 1/2" thickness to the item, and created another new component with the same new name. It asked if I wanted to replace the instance and I did.

Next I selected the drawer side that was the wrong size and went to my component list and tried to select “replace selected component” on the new one. It was grayed out. Argh!!!

I have a LOT of learning to do but this thing is gonna be awesome baby!

Probably running into some geometry. Share the .skp file with us so we can see exactly what you’ve got going on.

1 Like

I’m guessing I upload my skp file?

Bed base.skp (284.4 KB)

Which component were you trying to resize with Push/Pull.

I pulled out a drawer to the side and floating up above things is the correct size drawer side that I wanted to use to replace the wrong ones. In my component list I can neither select instances of the wrong one (greyed out) nor replace a single selected instance (also greyed out.)

That’s because you’ve created a nested group with the drawer sides in that group. In order to select them you need the group open for editing.

Nesting can be useful but it can also sometimes get in the way.

Okay. I did that so I could place the drawers in my base but still pull them out (ironically) to work on them. I’ll go try to bust up a bunch of groups.

THANK YOU!

A little further digging and I see you’ve got some excessive nesting going on. You can see that in Outliner. You have Component#2 inside the Drawer side large component. There’s no need for Component#2. I would get in there and explode that one to avoid the unneeded container.