How to change dimensions of existing rectangle?

That’s not any different to the way it works in the desktop versions. Using the Move tool, you enter the distance you want to move the selection no matter whether it’s moving a component or moving an edge.

What DO you want?

If you want to enter the new dimensions of the rectangle instead, use the Scale tool just like it would be done in the desktop versions.

Some extra clarification: SketchUp doesn’t have a “rectangle entity”. A rectangle is a face and 4 edges (technically the edges could be split into smaller segments so there could be even more edges). The face could just as well be a trapezoid, a hexagon or any other 2D shape, they are all the same entity type. The face is defined by the coordinates of its vertices (corners), not a width and height value. If faces were defined by certain predefined parameters, only a handful of primitives such as circles and rectangles would be supported. Instead you can draw any shape and work with them in a consistent way.

2 Likes

Please. Don’t double post. I’ve answered your questions in the other thread. And no, you don’t need the paid version to see the dimensions. You have to add them with the Dimension tool.

I used SketchUp on and off over the last 10 years or so (before Timble and Google acquisitions) and it’s always been a problem. That and the absence of a View Cube like in almost every CAD softwares on the planet. Don’t know if it’s some kind of philosophy but this software didn’t evolved much since 2010. It’s still a good software but needs a little revision.

Do you want it to evolve into another software rather than understand how the software functions?

Buy AutoCad then. View Cube is only in AutoCad. It is probably patented by Autodesk.

Perhaps because it’s not designed as CAD software, the developers did not have that in mind.
SketchUp is actually un-cad software, it doesn’t have ‘CAD’ in it’s name, either.

IMO, every comparison is therefore hopeless.
Checkout this book about digital sketching:

Also, go in Model Info → Units and uncheck the box labeled “Enable Length Snapping”.

Thanks for the question. I like a good debate :slight_smile: But I won’t answer the question because that’s not the point I was trying to make. I like SketchUp a lot. It’s simple and accessible. Most of the tools are easy to use and understand. In its category it’s one of the best. I’ve been using it enough to understand it, probably not like a regular/pro user but enough to compare it to other 2D and 3D softwares I used in the past. Now the thing I never liked about, and the point I was trying to make, is the fact that it stays almost the same for more than 10 years. Yeah sure there’s new functions here and there but there’s some tools that should be added that are used across 2D and 3D software. Something like the View Cube and a simple properties panel to change object dimensions and X-Y-Z positions. The 3D printing revolution is already started but there’s going to be tsunami of new users in the next 2-3 years that are coming from 2D and 3D software who are used to those tools. If Timble wants them to stay after trying SketchUp they should adapt to acquirer those new users. The proof is right here in this forum, look at all the users’ questions about how to use the tools and panels. That said, thanks and peace to all. :slight_smile:

I meant 2D and 3D softwares :upside_down_face: English is my secondary language, I can mix some terms sometimes :wink:

Another case of ‘it should work the way I expect it to work’ rather than ‘I should spend the time to learn how this is designed to work’.
So many people expect everything to be ‘Intuitive’ which is shorthand for, I’m too lazy to learn.

I don’t get the point here. I should switch to AutoCAD because I’d like to have something similar to the View Cube in SketchUp? I like SketchUp but it needs to adapt. Not to change everything, it needs to stay true to itself. But at least add those intuitive tools and panels used in a lot of 2D and 3D softwares. Look at SketchUp extrusion tool, it’s perfect, it’s intuitive, never change that. But there’s no intuitive dimensions/properties panels…

What does the View Cube in AutoCAD do?

3 Likes

That’s because, for better or worse, SketchUp is not a parametric modeler. A rectangle is not captured as a thing with dimensions, it is captured as four edges bounding a face. Subsequent drawing may break each edge and face into smaller pieces, at which point the original concept of “rectangle” is lost and its original parameters (dimensions) are no longer meaningful. So, this intuition is asking for SketchUp to be something it is not.

There have been extensions to create and manage parametric objects in SketchUp. They are all built around groups or components, not primitive geometry.

2 Likes

Wow. Lazy? This is a mean and useless comment. Lazy because I’d like new features in a software? I send you light and I wish you peace.

I’m saying that in general terms, not specific to you. It seems to be the way of the world now, everyone has 30second attention span and if it doesn’t work in that time it is at fault rather than reading the manual.

Wait, what was the second part of what you wrote? :wink:

1 Like

The move tool allows you to move xyz positions perfectly. It also allows insanely simple and precise object dimension changes. The entity info gives simple properties and allows you to change a lot of things like arc sizes, radii, lengths and so on.

You want ViewCube. ViewCube is only in AutoCad, probably patented. So to get ViewCub, you need to buy an Autodesk product that has it.

I find the ViewCube clumsy. In SketchUp I can use the center mouse button and wheel for a more intuitive 3D navigation.

I’m having the problem the original poster had. I made plans up for a storage platform bed. The drawer boxes which will be independent of the size of the face are using too much wood. I can just change the dimensions of my drawer box pieces by a little and fix that. My components are all drawn up and repeated all throughout my drawing. If I could just click on the component and say make this 28 3/4" by 11" it would be quick. Using the push pull tool it wants to click on 10 61/64" or it wants to snap to 11 1/2". I can’t get 11" with it. I tried creating a rule to snap to and can’t get it to snap to that for some reason.

Having read this entire thing including where it devolves into name calling and discussions of gifs I can say for certain this hasn’t been answered. Too bad. SketchUp is a very cool tool.