How long to open Sketchup

Would anyone do me a favor and time, roughly in seconds, it takes for Sketchup to open on your PC? And then how long it takes for your file itself to open after chosing it in the first splash window?

I just put 2019 pro on a new Dell Precision Mobile Workstation 5520 - 15.6" - Core i7 7820HQ - 32 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD. Nvidia Quadro m1000.

I’m coming from a 10 year old HP workstation with win7, 32bit, physical disc harddrive and 8gb Ram.
I expected everything to just ‘snap snap snap’ when opening things, but Sketchup takes 10 to 15 seconds to open and another 10 to 15 seconds for the file to open.

I realize that m1000 is close to the minimum for reasonable use of Sketchup. But my old HP seemed more responsive running Sketchup 2005 on really old architecture.

SketchUp 2020 takes about 20 seconds on a modern i7 laptop.
But I have two Tool Trays a large number of extensions - perhaps that makes it slower.

SketchUp may be reopening previous files. Holding down the shift key can make it open without reopening the previous documents.

In my MacBook Pro it takes about four seconds to get to the welcome screen in macOS, and about five seconds under Windows 10 (in Parallels). I do have SSD, and that will help.

Try first opening the Nvidia control panel, and checking in the 3D applications section that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia card. Also, if your computer is brand new, and you are using it “out of the box” you should download and install the latest Nvidia graphics driver - the one you have may be quite old (from the period when Dell started to sell your computer model).

I understand that is a Mac thing…

1 Like