How do you bevel a curved shape when RoundCorner overlaps no matter what?

problem1.skp (203.1 KB)

I’m trying to replicate the iPhone X in as high quality as possible as a means of practicing and learning the in’s and out’s of Sketchup (which is hands down the most amazing and fun program I have ever used, right next to Photoshop :D)

I have the shell and front complete, so the only thing left are the side components (buttons, sim hole, connector, speakers etc, which all need a rounded curved bevel which I cannot figure out)

The uploaded model has 3 pieces resembling the bottom of the iPhone’s USB connector housing, 1 being the original section which I want to add a bevel to, 2 being the attempt to bevel it using RoundCorners, and 3 just being a generic rectangle with a bevel.

Am I doing this wrong? I tried at original scale, up-scaled by 10x, decreasing/increasing both the offset and segments, nothing prevents overlapping.

Suggestions? :smiley:

iPhone X is darn close to having a semicircle edge to it. If you do a Google search for width and height of iphone x, you get what you need to know to build one.

If you then use the rectangle tool to create any size rectangle face, and type 2.79,5.65, the rectangle resizes to the iPhone X size.

Next thing is to use the arc tool to create the round corners, then create a semicircle at right angles to the rounded rectangle you made (where the diameter of the semicircle is 0.3), and use the follow me tool to make that semicircle follow the rounded rectangle you made.

Those are small dimensions, so when I did it I scaled the model up to 10X. Here’s what I got.

iphonex.skp (266.6 KB)

This kind of operation often doesn’t work in sketchup but would be possible in other 3D modelers.

As a solution I would suggest not using the “round corner” for the reasons you’ve found, but could try this as a solution. After cutting the hole through the surround (boolean op) …use a previously made copy of that button and taper it. Use that to perform another boolean operation to trim the new button surround. Use (yet another) copy of the button and round the top edge of it as the button. You should make this a hair smaller as there would be a little gap between the two.

Not exactly what you want to do but might be the only way. If you do try the “round corner” method you could go in a tediously clean it all up.

I was able to pull it off with a boolean operation. First I had to recreate the shape without the cutout and redraw it, with the faces all facing out. Then I selected just the outline of the top opening and made a copy of it to the side. From there I drew a profile of the bevel and used Follow Me to create a solid, which I grouped.

You might want to make the bevel profile larger, but I hope you get the idea.

Then I brought that back over the parent shape and used the Solid Tool: Subtract to remove it from the parent shape. This resulted in a perfect bevel around the opening as shown here.

Could you please send me a skp with the steps? I’m having difficulty understanding a boolean shape.

Edit: Nvm, just not used to the terminology. I tried this yesterday, but the mistake I made was keeping the face of the curved shape and using that rather than strictly the line.

Problem is solved, thank you SO MUCH!