How do I create a polygon with segment length "x"?

There’s got to be an easy way to do this, but I can’t find it!
I want to draw a polygon with 6 sides. I want each of the 6 segments to be length “x”.
I can select the hexagon and pull up the Entity window. It allows me to change the number of sides and the radius, but not the length. (I can highlight the number in the length box, but I am unable to change it)

I looked through all the questions about polygons and couldn’t find the answer. Your help is greatly appreciated! Geez, I’ve been using SU for years. I thought I was smarter than this!

Thanks!

one way

john

If I remember my geometry lessons from way back when, the radius will be the same as one of the sides of a hexagon.

1 Like

I switched the category of this thread to “SketchUp” as it doesn’t contain a tutorial.

You can use the Tape Measure tool. Use it to measure the length of one of your polygon segments. Immediately type the length you want it to be. SketchUp prompts you to approve of the resizing of the model. If you don’t want your whole model to be resized, group your polygon and use the tool inside the group’s context.

2 Likes

For a regular hexagon, Box’s method is the most direct. After all, a hexagon can be made of six equilateral triangles. Basic geometry. For other polygons, setting the length of the side with the Tape Measure tool is easiest.

1 Like

What Box says seems to be correct. If you choose the polygon tool, type 6 Enter to get six sides, click and drag any amount, then type your x value, Enter. You will have all six sides be that length.

none of these work in SU 23

the tape measure simply adds an inference point on the line

nope, all I get is an inference point on the polygon segment line

nope, no prompt only an inference point (which I don’t want)

Resizing with the Tape Measure tool does work in SketchUp 2023. You must be missing a step. Maybe you aren’t clicking on both end points.
poly

I don’t get a dialog box

Are you clicking on both end points of the polygon?

Make a screen capture video so we can see what you are doing.

yes, clicking both points.

don’t know how to make a video

Exactly what is your next step after clicking the second point with the Tape Measure tool? Do you click in the Measurements window? If so, don’t. There’s never any reason to click in the measurements window to enter dimensions.

Thanks so much for the assistance. Nope. I follow you and do not click in the measurements window.

I click both ends of the segment (in this case, an octagon) but no dialog box appears allowing me to enter a dimension.

Share your .skp file. There’s something you’re missing or something you haven’t told us about the model.

threshold.skp (73.5 KB)

It works for me both to resize the entire model and to resize just the octagon. What happens if you type in the desired dimension and press Enter twice?

poly

voila. That does it. I’m asked if I want to resize but no dialog box appears. vexing

If there’s no dialog box asking if you want to resize the model or the active object the dialog window must be opening off screen. Were you using SketchUp with two displays before and are now only using one? Go to Preferences>Work Space and click on Reset Workspace.