How do I add my image onto a round figure?

I have learnt how to add an image as texture onto a flat object by using Exploded, Projected, etc.

This time I am planning to add a texture around a cheese or similar object.

The WIP image I am working on in Photoshop attached. My image is maybe too short for the cheese object. Parmesan cheese model used in the image.

The parmesan cheese I have downloaded is already textured but I want to replace it with my own if this is possible

I would try and use “sketchUV mapping tools” plugin. It can apply the texture mapping to a sphere or cylinder depending on what you choose. There are other plugin options like this out there too.

Try this Video Google search will produce additional results

Another option … you have to specify the size of the cylinder before selecting the image to wrap around it, but from there it can be scaled and stretched as needed:

Since you have Photoshop…go to your preferences and set Photoshop as your default image editor in SketchUp.

Then find and edit the cheese texture and it should open in Photoshop directly. Then make the changes you want to it and make sure to merge the new layer(s) or flatten the image in Photoshop and then save it. It should then automatically update in SketchUp. Repeat the process as many times as needed.

I’ve found that with cylindrical mapping, by importing image as “image” and then exploding it so it populates the materials palette, it can be sampled from there and applied to cylinder with the correct mapping.

If things go awry, then the UV mapping tool can help sort it out. While applying the UV mode the model has to be in a parallel view to keep things straight. VArious key combinations will allow it to be scaled and moved in place.

For the cheese it might be good to map it spherically and delete the top and bottom? so you get the compound curve?

sample of cylindrical mapping I had done for a can using the sketchUV mapping tool.

3 Likes

Very nice.

1 Like

Thank you for all the help and information. I appreciate this!

OK, so here is my result. I had still used the method as I have done on my sewing pattern envelopes and donut box which I have done some time ago, i.e. explode, projected, etc. Just had to move texture over parts before exploding, etc.

Only problem is that the cheese I have used here have holes which do not look nice on renders as it cause strange light shadows.

Is that Swiss Cheese? You might soften the edges. Why are the shadows strange? Could there be back faces showing?

@pbacot, I have no idea of why this is. If you look at the Bryce render you will notice the shadows of light coming out.

It’s just a simple cheese I found at the Warehouse. I have downloaded another cheese I am trying without holes. I am working on the ‘plastic wrap’ filter to put around the cheese. In Photoshop the filter do not have the correct effect on a plain background. I think I should draw lines such as wrinkles first and then apply the plastic wrap filter.

Holes makes black light shadow coming out in Bryce render. Unless this is a Bryce light setting.

Turn on monochrome face styles in SU. If the faces aren’t all orientated with front faces out, then the back faces will render as simply black…

If the faces are orientated correctly it may be the position of the sun casting the shadow. Either orientating the object differently or moving the light source might cut down on some of the unwanted dark spots. Some render softwares have the option “soft shadows” too.

1 Like

@IanT - thank you for this tips. :smiley:

I’d be inclined to make your own cheese as its a simple shape as some of the 3D wharehouse models have unknown issues. Make a sphere using circles with a higher edge count (36). In parallel view, remove the top and bottom to your liking. Trace the top and bottom edge to fill the top and bottom and run Fredo’s round corner. (soften all)

Alternatively, you could make the cheese profile and run a follow me operation on it, you’d get the same results.

Also, not being a cheese expert, I’m not sure if that cheese type has holes on the outside as they are covered in a skin. I think you may only see the holes on the inside when cut?

On that subject…thought I’d share an earlier cheese I had made with a little fredo animator thrown in.

I have never made a sphere, thank you for that too and more tips.