Everything that the guys already suggested is correct.
Adding a fill light (Rectangle for example) is what a photographer would do to achieve a more balanced image. You can position it somewhere outside of the camera view and then tweak its intensity as well as the camera exposure to achieve the desired illumination.
- Decrease the Sun intensity
- Artificially bump up the Environment/Background multiplier value
- Select the CIE Clear Sky model in the sun option. This will give you two intensities to work with - the Sun’s intensity multiplier and the Sky’s horizontal illumination.
- Tweak both to artificially balance the lighting
- Use more than one Exposure correction in the VFB to push the highlights even further or better yet use a Curve correction to achieve the same effect…
As for the reference image you attached:
I feel like this particular look can easily be achieved in the VFB.
You can use a Curve correction to increase the contrast for example.
You can also check out the Filmic tonemap and it’s built in presets.
Hope that helps,