High Quality Render Output

vray

Hey all,

I’m new here and I’m not sure if this is how to ask questions or not, but here it goes. I have been learning VRay 3.6 for SketchUp for a little while now and was wondering what the best settings for a high quality render output should be? I work in an Architecture studio and want to make the most professional looking images I can. Any info about this will help!

Thanks!

Problem with slow rendering - Sketchup 2018 + Vray 3.6

A V-Ray forum would probably be the best place to ask that. Your general question would also suit watching some how-to videos.
(Professional output requires a wide range of quality settings and composition to suit the particular presentation).

“High Quality” is a hard term to define as it varies from user to user. Here is a quick attempt to answer your question:

1. Most of the quality comes from your model. A well built model with high quality assets will produce a decent rendering with default settings.
  2. Materials make a big difference. Use the default VRAY materials library where you can and supplement that with importing .VISMAT files found online. Note that light, reflections and transparency go a long way to make a render look better but all add time to the process.
  3. Size matters. I mean pixels. High quality means large render…minimum 2000 pixels wide. 3-5,000 works better but takes longer. How fast are your machines or how patient are you to wait hours for a render?
  4. There is a simple ‘quality’ slider in settings (asset editor). Render using the ‘Draft’ setting until ready to do final rendering, then bump up. Of course that takes time. Use DeNoiser to reduce noise which doesn’t add time and helps smooth out lower resolution or lower quality settings.

See below for Quality vs Time rendering on very simple model:
"Draft (lowest)" quality setting at 2000 px wide = 9.2 seconds

High (not highest) quality setting at 2000 px wide = 56.9 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Also, Just FYI on materials and time. Just changing the gal to all Chrome has more than doubled the render time. You can see how just one material change can make a big difference on quality (or realism) and time.