Hiding Lines Between surfaces

How do you hide the seam? I put four things together how do you hide the seam between?

What are the four things? Are the just loose geometry? Groups? Components? If you upload your SKP file so we can see it, we’ll be able to give you the most accurate answer without a bunch of guess work.

I am very new at this so in the first stages of learning. I am a builder with extensive experience using plans but none making them. I am attempting to add design to the build of my business. I built a table in quarters as was suggested by a sketchup tutorial with table top and leg as as two separate components then copied rotated and reconnected them. But there are dividing lines that I try to erase but the adjacent pieces disappear.

You can hide the edges where they meet instead of deleting them.

But I would have just built the top as a solid / single piece.

1 Like

Could you upload the SKP file for the table so we can see the structure? There’s not enough info in your screen shot to tell you exactly what you need to do.

Yes I’m not building the table just trying to learn components and groups and how to use sketchup. Is there a way to join the four pieces as one?

So they are components? Explode them and then erase the seam lines.

table exercise.skp (141.6 KB)

So yes, explode the table top components, erase the edges on the top and bottom. Soften the seam lines on the edges and make a new component of the top.

It’s good that you are learning about components but you might consider drawing the parts as you’d make them in the shop.

Thanks. Funny when I search explode in the help section I get no results. I had to google it to find it. Silly. That worked.

@DaveR makes a good point that’s sometimes overlooked. When using groups or components, create each separate piece just as it would exist in real life and then group its geometry as a single unit. When putting everything together in an assembly, group the groups (or components) together. For the table, for example, make the top one piece in a group (“Table Top”) and make each leg (“Leg”) a separate component. Then group the five of them together as one unit (“Table”).

1 Like

I got that and that is great advise but another vid pointed out when making complex symmetrical stuff that requires a lot of editing it saves a lot of time to make one piece and copy and mirror them so you don’t have to edit every piece the same way. If I wanted to change the angle of the table top I would have to do it to all four sides. But by having them in quarters I’d only have minor edits. Maybe joining them at the end is the way to go. My table is a very simple exercise.

Here’s the tutorial.

That process has its place although there are other ways to achieve the same result without halving or quartering parts. It also depends upon what you need out of the model. For example, if you need a cutlist, you probably don’t want parts split into smaller piece as shown in that tutorial.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.