Help with a wooden end table leg?

Hello everyone. I am trying to make a change to an end table leg I have been working on. I have attached a couple of screen shots.
I am changing the length of a portion of thee leg where a rail will be attached horizontally as I think I made it to long and it will be a week point in the design.

If you see one of the attached pictures from the side I only have it tapered. But, I would like it to look the same as the front of the end table. I hope this makes sense? I know it has to be made in 2 pieces to get the look I want, but I am not sure how to do this in sketchup?

If anyone can give me a hand would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Jay

It would be helpful to post your model if you can . Would make it easier to see exactly what you have going on and the best way to approach the issue.

Thank you tuna1957!! :slight_smile: I have attached the file. Look forward to your help :slight_smile:

Jaynew cole leg1 for assistance.skp (429.8 KB)

Can’t offer much as the newest SU version I’m running is 2018. So can’t peek at your 2020 version you posted. But I’m sure some of the real woodworking geniuses like DaveR will be along at some point to help you out.

Is the flat version of the leg shortened the way you want it?

Like this?

I see two issues with the new profile you drew:

• The shortened curve does not end horizontally. There will be a corner where it meets the bottom rail
  • The end of the shortened curve is larger than the height of the rail.

In other words, if you create a new leg as @DaveR showed, (I think) you will need some more editing to make it meet the bottom rail cleanly.

1 Like

Hi Dave, yes I shortened it a bit so hopefully a little stronger, eventhough there should not be to much weight on it.

I want the side of the end table to look like the front if that makes sense??? :slight_smile:

Thank you!!

Jay

Here’s what I mean:

Oh yes, 1 1/8 would be good! :slight_smile:

Thank you

Jay

Like this?

1 Like

Yes Dave!!! Thats it!! :):slight_smile:

How did you do that??

Thank you!

Jay

Like this:

BoolTools2 and FredoCorner

3 Likes

WOW!! never even heard of that tool set :slight_smile: Going to try that now. Is that from the extension warehouse Dave?

Jay

BoolTools2 can be accessed through the Extension Warehouse. It’s not free but it’s extremely useful. You could use the native Solid Tools instead however they don’t respect components and I find they create more work than they save.

Thanks Dave, I have the tool set. Just not sure how you manipulated the face of the leg? Do I create another face and rotate it? Any chance I can see how you did that?

Sorry to be a pain!!

Jay

1 Like

I just extruded it with Push/Pull and then rotated a copy of it 90°.

Thanks Dave! Worked like a charm! From your experience and expertise how hard would it be to produce a leg like this out of solid wood?? you think do-able??

Jay

It’s doable. Lay out the pattern on two inside faces of the leg. Make one cut with the bandsaw with an outside face down. Roll the leg 90° and make the second cut. Rounding over the outside corner is academic. It would be even slicker to do on a CNC machine with the leg mounted between centers so it can be rotated.

AWESOME!!! Thank you once again Dave! Your help is always much appreciated!!!

Jay

1 Like

Thank you for your help yesterday Dave! The change to this leg is sooooooo much better!!

Jay

5 Likes