Help with a wooden end table leg?

Nice design. Proportions are pleasing. My only concern is that the drawer assembly is supported almost entirely on short grain. The concern of making the “arms” shorter addresses this to some degree. However, this connection is a weak point in the design. I suggest you extend the stretcher below the drawers to the long grain of the leg behind the pleasing curvature DaveR helped you with. I attach an explanatory drawing.

Another advantage of this approach is that you will be able to place the most pleasing grain of whatever wood you choose on BOTH exposed faces of the leg (and uses less wood).

2 Likes

Wow! That looks great! Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to do this and show me!

Is there anyway you could show me the process you went through to build the leg like this? I would really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thank you again!

Jay

Okay. I’m not anywhere as adept as DaveR (and others), with modeling or with creating tutorial animations. So instead, I have expanded the .skp (version 2019) to step by step scenes.

table leg suggestion.skp (2.6 MB)

Some caveats: I haven’t installed 2020 yet, so I can’t read your model. Therefore I guessed at dimensions. After looking at this, I am concerned that my supposed material thickness are inadequate for the potential stresses this table might experience. You may wish to increase the thickness of the stretcher, as the required shaping at the corner joints result in a weak assembly. You may be able to mitigate some of this by adding reinforcing hardware (L-brackets, etc.).

Aaaand after writing all that, it occurs to me that if you made the structure below the drawers out of a sheet of plywood (at least 1/2" thick, or preferably 3/4"), then the stretchers can be mostly cosmetic as the structure wouldn’t depend on them as much.

Personally, I would do everything I could to work on engineering those corner joints to simplify the joinery and increase strength. A beautiful table that crumbles when Uncle Willard falls on it in a drunken post Thanksgiving dinner stupor is not a great thing.

WOW! Thanks alot! That’s great will give this a go. thanks for taking the time to help me with this! :slight_smile:
Jay

You’re most welcome. Good luck with the table. I’d like to see the finished product.

1 Like