Help with a Nightstand design element

Hello, I am having all sorts of problems trying to create an X design element for a nightstand I am working on. I have attached a picture in hopes that someone can give me a little guidance?? I hope the pic helps describe what I am trying to do??

Thank you!!

JayEaston%20help

I would make life easy for myself and draw the stretcher between center lines of the legs and then trim them to the legs after making them. Consider, though, if you were building this piece in wood, how will you make the stretchers so they fit correctly?

1 Like

Thanks Dave, we looked at making in wood at first, but now it maybe metal? When you say trim them, not sure what you mean? I was going to start the X stretcher 5" up from the bottom and make it 1" thick.

I think metal might be the best don’t you? Have you ever done anything with metal detail?

Thanks alot!! Always appreciate your help!

Jay

I’m suggesting that you draw the stretchers longer than they need to be–out to the center lines of the legs at least–and then trim them to length. Are you planning to have the stretchers meet the legs on the sides or at the corners?

Do you mean fabricated metal detail? I’ve designed and been involved with fabrication of a fair amount of metal details–mostly stainless steel–for use in medical environments such as operating rooms and other anesthetizing locations but not so much for furniture.

Hi Dave, yeah maybe fabricated metal? I would like to use wood but still not sure how to draw it with the tapered leg? I am a little unclear how to draw when you say "

draw the stretchers longer than they need to be–out to the center lines of the legs at least–and then trim them to length.

Yes, I would like them to attach to the sides of the legs if possible?

Thanks Dave!!

Jay

Just make the stretchers longer than you need them like so:

Then trim off the ends leaving just the part that meets the legs. I made the legs and the stretcher solid components and used Trim from Eneroth Solid Tools to trim the stretcher.