Help tracing a sphere portion?

@ daveR
U mean that we cant install extension in “make version” as we do in “pro version”

I did not say that Make users can’t install extensions. You used Subtract from the Solid Tools set. That’s not an extension you installed. The Solid Tools are a pro-only option that are included with SketchUp Pro.

And you shouldn’t need Solidsolver to make the cube or the sphere solids anyway. The should just be made solid in the act of making them groups or components.

1 Like

@DaveR can we use extension in make if yes then
with the bool tool or OScoolean boolean extension we can?

@atek, you need to check out the details. See TIG’s post in this thread regarding OSCoolean and Smustard regarding BoolTools as well as Whaat’s remarks about it dealing with small geometry here.

1 Like

another relevant question: how can I fill in these side edges? obviously no reference sphere or anything here to intersect faces with

better yet, is there a better way to do what I’m trying to do? You can’t push/pull a curved surface, so I scaled it down by an approximated amount and have literally spent the last 2 hours doing trial and error basically by measuring each corner distance to try and get the smaller piece centered over the bigger piece at the correct displacement. Please tell me there’s a better way lol

attach the file plz so that we can find the error

Draw two spheres and intersect them with the corner of a cube.

3 Likes

And to answer your original question, stitch the end points together.

1 Like

I think the 2 spheres will be the answer, but here’s the file in case you want to check it out
Cube design 1.skp (1.7 MB)

u can attach the 3 ends top 2 ends and bottom 1 end and then with the curviloft plugin u can make the side edges. And use the smooth edges also.

That doesn’t solve his issue of centering it.

as u said above to stitch the end points together. Stitching takes long time so i said curviloft plugin can work

I can think of at least four plugins to do it, but understanding how the geometry works is more import in the early learning stages.
Jumping straight to plugins without know what you are doing leads to a poor workflow where you have to use a plugin because you don’t know that you can simply add a few edges to close a hole.

Answering questions in the best way for the skill level of the person asking is very important. Giving basic info to advanced users or advance info to basic users is counter productive. If the question had been ‘I have lots of these edges to fill what do you suggest?’ I would have recommended several plugins.

2 Likes

agreed! It’s always best to learn the fundamentals so that I’m not building impossible shapes with plugins. Since the aim is 3d printing precise parts, I need to learn to work the geometry perfectly. Furthermore, any future tweaking/adjustments in the prototyping phase will be much easier if my file isn’t a patchwork of plugins that are fixing my problems the wrong way.

1 Like

By shrinking the outer piece to make the inner piece, you compounded the problem by then needing to properly locate the inner piece as well as introducing non-planar edges at the same time. As @Box demonstrated above, if you create the outer and inner surfaces at the same time, any slicing will be done by a planar face of the cube and will result in a planar face on the three edges … no stitching needed.

one last question (for this project!) :slight_smile: how can I taper the width of this cylinder? At the top end of the cylinder, it is the maximum radius it could be for my design to function. At the lower end, however, where it connects to the half-cube, I would like it to be a wider radius to add a bit of strength. I know I could use 2 distinct radii, doing a step down at the clearance point of the mechanism, but for learning and preference, I’m curious about doing a smooth taper in radius. Here’s the file
Cube design 1.skp (1.7 MB)

Separate the cylinder from the rest of the model (you cant do a clean job of scaling up one end with all the connected geometry.

Use Scale on one end to make it larger, then place it back into the model.

You will have to intersect it’s geometer with the sphere and cube geometry and clean it up, again.

1 Like

thank you! beyond that is unnecessary, but out of sheer curiosity, how would I make it more bell shaped?

While that could be done using a number of extensions, the easiest way would be to draw a cross section of the shape you want, then use Follow Me to trace it around a circle.

Select the circle, then click Follow Me, then click the surface:

1 Like