Help Please, Layout export issues

Hi, If someone could help please.

When I go to export (to PDF) a drawing from Layout, some of the drawings revert back to basic design mode from sketchup.

Please see the attached. Showing the print preview from the original layout drawing.

Help would be appreciated

Could you share the LO file so I can take a look? It’s likely too big a file to upload here so upload to Drop Box and share the link. If you don’t want to make the LO file public, send it to me in a PM.

Hi Dave, Thanks for your response, link here.

Opening it now. Will report shortly. Is it OK that you posted it publicly? If not, you might want to edit your previous post and remove the link.

I see several problems with your file. The materials have been removed from the SketchUp file. As you can see in this screen shot, the brick texture, for example, isn’t even present in the SKP file. Although not likely to be related to your problem, you also have exposed reversed faces, not grouping of geometry, and incorrect layer use. (Notice the Layer field in Entity Info is blank meaning the selected entities are scattered on multiple layers. All edges and faces should be on Layer 0.)

You’ve also set up the scenes in your SketchUp model to not save properties that you really should be saving. Different properties to save a deselected for the different scenes. This means that certain changes you’re making in the SKP file won’t get saved into the scenes and thus won’t be translated to LayOut.

Screenshot%20-%2011_12_2018%20%2C%209_55_14%20AM

Additionally, you’re modifying scenes which you shouldn’t be doing. All four of these selected viewports point to the same scene in the SketchUp file. They should each be pointing to a different scene.

The LayOut file is updating the SketchUp reference before exporting to PDF which is why you are seeing the changes.

Thank you Dave,

First timing attempting a more details drawing in sketchup (usually use CAD, which would have been finished hours ago).

I will go back through Sketchup and tighten / coordinate the drawing better.

Thanks for you time.

1 Like

Just now installed Sketchup Pro 2020… Layout’s export PDF seems to export only perspective view and not any other camera view… I dont want to reset my scenes and I have slaved away a L.O.T of hours already on this!

Any help?

Are your scenes showing perspective views?

How about sharing your LO file so we can see what you have to work with?

Hello Dave… thanks for writing back…

When I removed the dimensions in the sketchup scene, the (hybrid) PDF export from layout worked for all views and viewports

I have been trying to reproduce the error but haven’t succeeded yet. For now this seems to strangely work so no idea why the grief with that particular file. I will write back to you when I encounter this next.

Thanks,

Anand

Were these dimensions you had added in SketchUp or in LayOut? I have seen a few cases where export failed due to some strange dimension issue. Removing the dimension or dimensions would allow it to work and even after putting the dimensions in again it worked fine. I haven’t seen anything that identifies exactly what is wrong with the dimensions though. It would be nice to know so you could potentially avoid doing it in the first place.

I first added the dimensions in Sketchup, and when I added standard camera views and dimensions in layout, over and above the pre-existing ones in the SketchUp scenes, the export from layout to PDF misbehaved.

Then I removed the SketchUp dimensions and it behaved better but wasn’t still working for hybrid exports….

Then I reinstalled Sketchup and Layout, as administrator, and it started to behave fine as if nothing happened!! Strange!

I will try to continue to replicate the issues as and when I can and I will get back to you once I develop the error…

Thanks,

Anand

Not so strange. Failure to use Run as administrator when installing complex software like SketchUp and LayOut can prevent important files from being installed or at least installed correctly due to permissions requirements from Windows 10. It’s part of the Windows security thing. We’ve seen all sorts of strange behaviors that get fixed with proper installation.

I always install with admin privileges only… …but perhaps export rights could be checked for non admin credentials…