Help me with optimizations for 3d printing

I need to 3d-print this model, but no matter what I do, I can’t make it alright!
Someone, please help me…To optimize.stl (228.7 KB)

…I don’t WANT to sound sarcastic… but… what model? :wink:

Upload your model and I’m sure we can find a way to optimise fro printing!

2 Likes

I just uploaded it, thank you so much in advance.

First question is, do you have the .SKP file for this model? .STL files have a lot more geometry than SketchUp files and can be modified easier.

Other than that, you have a lot of faces crossing through each other, causing interior geometry. That needs to be cleaned up. Most of the surfaces are reversed (the white side should be pointing out). You also have several surfaces that are single planes (they have no depth). everything needs to be a single solid piece in order to print. Have you downloaded and run Solid Inspector2? That would be a good tool to have for this and future models.

1 Like

My Model.skp (2.1 MB)
This is the .skp file, thank you…

That does make it easier, but you will need to start by giving every surface some depth. Then move through making sure that you don’t have interior geometry.

1 Like

I did the reversing, but didn’t get what you said about interior geometry!?
Chek out this one…E-1.skp (1.2 MB)

How should I solve the problem with faces crossing each other, how to fix them?

As an example, the ground plane is a single surface. In order to be 3d printed, everythgin requires some depth. To fix the ground plane, you would want to use Push/Pull to create some depth to that surface.

In the example below, the right model cannot be printed, because the surfaces have no depth. The example on the right can be printed, because there is some depth to every side, including the ground plane.

I read somewhere that in order to make sure that ur model is ready: grinning: you should select the whole parts then right-click and choose mak a group, afterward see if it shows “solid group” in entity info part if so it’s okay for printing…
Is it accurate?

That is a way to test, but your model is a ways away from being a solid. A solid is a complete piece, with a single outside surface and nothing inside. As you orbit around your model, you can se into the model in several places. I would start by closing up the model and then add depth to any single surfaces that are left. At that point, Solid Inspector can help you find things like interior geometry that needs to be cleaned up.

1 Like

I was wondering: Has anyone made a “thicken” plug-in that would do for a set of surfaces what the offset tool does for a set of lines? That is, push-pull multiple surfaces all perpendicular to their respective faces and resolve all the intersections (just as Aaron illustrates in the example above)? Probably too much to hope for.

1 Like

I added depth to every single surfaceو also removed hidden geometry using Cleanup2 extention.
Please check it out and tell me what to do next…
Thanks againE-2.skp (1.2 MB)
:pray:

Me too :smile:

At this point, you are looking at a bunch of manual review and cleanup of the model. To be honest, this is a pretty simple shape, and you may be better off drawing from scratch with the intention of creating a single solid. If not, then it’s a matter of running through, edge to edge and eliminating any extra geometry. Anything that is not defining an exterior edge or surface should be removed.

Here is a video from a while back that covers the issue of taking a non-manifold model and making it print-ready:

1 Like

This looks almost same as your other post.
Some comments;
Have you selected the print technology to print model.? That is recommended for first step.

Some printers have bed size smaller than your model;

• Some surfaces my not be self supporting ( called over hang) and the Printer will add supports. If so they will have to broken off eventually. However, some printers now use materials that can be dissolved.The reason for supports is some of the materials used must be heated to melting point and then have to cool for short time before it supports its self;
  • You other model had about 800 + tiny edges and when it is scaled down there small size may be an issue.
  • Where are you getting the model from or is it CAD based.?
  • The cost of printing has a strong correlation to amount of material used. Technically the model does not have to have thick walls but , then it is treated as a all solid and the print cost can sky rocket on you. Some slicer’s have the capability to add in fill (egg create like structure on the inside). The printer may do that and should be no action by you unless you are using a school printer. Printer usually have a slicer and is final processing step to print.
  • In the model above there are still some nested components not showing any intersecting edges.
  • I gave you a link to a free service where they will apply some correction to your model are you going to do that?_
  • You model is showing 1872 ft from origin which is a bit far?? Deleting the item at the origin will help you on zooming. You can easily move as follows; select whole model and start move the type this [0,0,0]. This will moved selected model at the selected point to origin
  • You model looks much better than first one. I do not see a lots of auto-fold lines now.
    Good Luck

Behy; This is probably much too late for your needs. However, if it possible could you post a copy of your model before you made this step of adding depth. It my provide some in sight into problem.
Thanks and hope you have found a solution,:smile: