Help figuring out model problem

Hello everyone. I am new to sketchup. I am trying to model a kitchen space. I managed to get the lower cabinets and countertop modeled. When I went to cut out the slot for the range, I managed to break some faces on both the countertop component and the cabinet component. I have managed to fix most of them but I have a some extra lines that are causing the entire cabinet outline to disappear when erased.

How can I correct the cabinet component so that I don’t loose it when erasing the between the break in the cabinets. See attached model?

Thank you,

Rick

Kitchen_Layout.skp (202.8 KB)

Are these the places where you were having issues?

55%20PM

There was a duplicated edge both inside and outside the top of the opening in the lower cabinets component. I deleted first the one loose in the model and then opened the component for edit and deleted the one inside. There was also an edge across the opening at floor level.

You had hidden all of the geometry inside the countertop component, making it invisible. I opened it for edit using the outliner, did an unhide all, and then deleted a strip that was crossing the opening at the outside wall.

Kitchen_Layout.skp (203.2 KB)

2 Likes

Yes those are the lines causing the problem. However I believe the countertop component is somehow attached to the lower cabinet component.

What leads you to believe that? It’s located next to it but isn’t attached in the model you posted. They are properly separate components.

not%20attached

I was able to delete the extra lines after I read your post. Thank you, But I still have a problem with what looks like double countertop elements. I am attaching a new file.

Kitchen_Layout_1.skp (200.4 KB)

I suspect that you aren’t making sure the “replace selection with component” box is checked in the dialog when you create a component. When this isn’t checked, SketchUp will create a new component as requested but will also leave a “loose” (i.e. non-component) set of duplicate edges and faces in the original location. That appears to have happened with your countertop and also with a few stray edges down the corners of the lower cabinet.

Okay, I saw that check box but wasn’t sure what it meant. Is that why I see what appear to be double weight edge lines along the cabinet faces in the cutout area for the range? I imagine I will need to go into the lower cabinet components and delete the edges and surfaces associated with the extra countertop component.

Rick

No. The heavy lines are “profiles” that SketchUp displays to emphasize the boundaries of objects. They are important when you have smooth curved surfaces as otherwise the boundary may not be visible, but other times they can be spurious. You can thin them down to width 1 or turn them off all together by editing the style.

In the model you posted, the duplicate countertop and corner edges are outside the components and can be deleted without affecting the components. It helps to select and then hide the component so you can see what it doesn’t include.

Thank you Steve,

I think I have it cleaned up, I exploded the lower cabinet component, removed the extra countertop and made seperate components for each cabinet section. I think this is right now.

Appreciate your help. Being unconsciously incompetent makes it very hard to know what what one doesn’t know. Its going to be a long process to lean this program.

Thank god for the community!

RKitchen_Layout_1.skp (207.6 KB)
ick

Looking better! A couple of further things I would recommend:

• split the countertop into two components corresponding to the parts of the lower cabinets. that will make it easier to keep things aligned. As is, if you move the lower cabinets separately the countertop will have to be edited to make its parts follow. The easiest way to do this is:
  1. open the countertop component for edit
  2. select the geometry for one portion
  3. do edit->cut
  4. close the component
  5. do edit->paste in place (this will leave the pasted geometry selected)
  6. make a component of the selected geometry
  • add some layers for the various components to make it easier to switch them from visible to invisible. Do this only for the components, not for anything inside them. All edges and faces should use only Layer0

• In your latest edit the tops of the cabinets are reversed. If you look closely they are a darker blue-gray than non-reversed faces. But due to shading, the difference is sometimes hard to see. To avoid any doubt, I edit the style to use a garish green color for the back side of faces.

• If you haven’t done so already, try viewing the training videos on the SketchUp knowledge base or the new SketchUp Campus. That will answer many questions and help you get going faster.

• Your profile says you are using SketchUp Free (Web) but version 2016, which doesn’t exist! Please correct it - often a correct profile helps us get to the right answer faster!

1 Like

Thank you Steve,

I have gone through tg a training videos on SketchUp Campus (fundamentals and basic layout) also have gone through many of the courses on SketchUp main site. I would not have been able to get this far had I not had access to those excellent resources.

What I have found out is that there are many tiny nuances that are not communicated in trading materials. The best way to learn this is to dig in and model.

I try to figure out my mistakes as I go. After an hour of spinning wheels I decided to ask tye forum for help.

The community is awesome. Much appreciated!

I will update my profile. I am now using a 30-day Pro trial and plan to purchase a classic pro license.

Rick

1 Like