Help! cant see my model in Sketchup make 2017

I cant see my model at all, I have exported the file and can still see the model is in the saved file.

I have seen previous posts that said to go to preferences the openGL and untick use fast feedback. Unfortunately this didn’t do anything for me. I’ve attached a screenshot so you know what I can see.

Can anyone help?

First thing I see is that you aren’t using Layers properly.
Layer0 should be your current layer nearly all of the time.
Switch all layers ‘ON’.

It would be a good idea to set up some Scene Tabs with chosen views, at least you can step-back to those when you do something unfortunate !
Also you seem to be working on a ‘backup’ copy - on a MAC a backup file’s name ends with a ~
If you open Model Info> Statistics, do you see lots of things listed.
If not you have somehow deleted much of your model !
But if there are things there, try the next step…
Next, have you deleted some geometry with text associated with it it sometimes zooms off into the edge of the solar-system. Then when you do a zoom extents the model seems to disappear but it’s actually so small you can’t see it !!
Look at this for a ‘fix’…
Need Help to fix my SKP file!

1 Like

To add to what TIG said, and John is saying as I type this…

The use fast feedback tip would have led to this symptom, but it really only applies to PCs, and then mostly Surface Pro and other models that have poor performance integrated Intel GPUs.

Do you have View/Axes turned off? If it’s turned on, you must be pointing off in a strange direction. Try using the Zoom Extents button (or type shift-z).

What TIG says about you working on a backup file is more than true. I think you are working on a backup of a backup of a backup of the original file. In general, if you have a reason to continue your work on the ~ version of a file, first do a Save As, and give it a normal name, as a fresh start. At that point the original file won’t be needed, and the renamed version will start to make its own ~ backup file.

I’ll stop there and see what John is typing.

It would help if you’d attach the SKP file.

extending on TIG’s observation on your file name…

if you have ‘Create backup’ enabled the file name will be filename~.skp and that is a copy ‘frozen’ at the Start of the session so you can go ‘back’ if tragedy occurs…

if you open those ‘directly’ then your changes are added and a ‘new back’ is generated…

your filename shows you used backup skp’s twice, then made a ‘copy’ using Finder, then you are showing us an image from a backup of that copy…

the concept is to only ever have one working and one backup skp…

‘archiving’ is when you deliberately save a copy with a date or other marker added…

with a structured ‘archiving’ strategy it is easier to go back and see when the issue started…

in you case if you opened ‘Magie Floor Plan~~copy.skp’ and found it to be ok, then you could use ‘save As’ >> ‘Magie Floor Plan.skp’ overwriting the original to use as your ‘working’ skp…

john

Yes this totally worked! thanks again for your help

I will take a guess that it was zoom extents that helped!

2 Likes